Why not try for a BigBreak?

Suggestions, ideas or problems on the forums. Feel free to post em here. (Please PM Maggie for urgent issues)

Moderator: maggie

Why not try for a BigBreak?

Postby Egofreaky on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:59 am

You know, the more I write for my Nescafe BigBreak semi finalssubmission, the more I realise that OzTAKU, as a community, is pretty much the same as Pulp Faction.

I mena, we're a little more cohesive and social in nature, and there is a heriarchy in place because we work on projects... but they boil down to the same thing.

Now, considering that this place houses way more professionals than OzTAKU, I think it'd probably be easier to get sponsorship. Yoiu just need a workable angle that sounds commercially "cool", and here, we do two things that easily fall into that category.
We print comics and we host The 24 Hour Challenge.

The 24 Hour Challenge could easily be funded, in perpetuity, by a $100K grant that's put into a high interest account. The interest alone every year would guarantee money for advertising, and maybe even prizes.

Alternatively, that money could be used to invest in a P.O.D. machine, like a Xerox DocuTech. Something that can print and bind automatically so that the only work involved is putting a disc in and pressing go. Then those of us who only need small runs can get some P.o.D. action going or we could band together under a PF Imprint... and the machine can be leased out to commercial interests in the interim.

The only catch is that the reigns have to be handed over to someone that's an Australian or NZ citizen that's under 24... that rules me out next year btw.

but yeah... just a thought that's struck me in my lack of sleepness.

Oh yeah, and I'll be doing my 24 hour challenge on monday... I'll probably only get through 8 pages.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Timothy Raven on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 am

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately I'm 32, the only thing Nescafe would give me is the two-fingered salute. Why they think only younger people are in need of a "big break" is beyond me.

By the by, good luck in the contest.
Timothy Raven
Superhero

Postby Laocorn on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:48 pm

Sounds like that ole "australian comic company" idea reworded... Not that I'm dissing the idea I actually like it, plus with a POD in Australia distribution from there would be in theory more workable.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:12 am

Well, it basically IS the Australian Comic Company idea again.
The difference is that in the past, the reason why it doesn't happen is because no one has the money for it, and collectively, we're really crap at organising stuff...

If we won a Big Break, it would simply be "communal property", we'd base the thing somewhere in Melbourne or Sydney, depending on the brand of the machine (Fuji-Xerox & Canon for Melbourne, IBM, Toshiba and Kyocera for Sydney), and then who ever's in charge of it basically prints other people's stuff at cost price, with a very small premium to cover the eventaul replacement of parts and servicings.

It's just a matter of getting some of the young blood here to be willing to do it for next year's Big Break.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Laocorn on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:46 pm

I'd throw my hand up but I'm in the same boat as you Avi... damn growing up :P

Does anyone here have figures on machines like that? The other thing is how many comics are produced that would come off that thing if it were utilised like that, I know theres roughly 5-10 new comics every Supanova, with a run of 50-200 with each may not quite cover the running costs of the printer in the end... anyone here good with figures?

Edit: Forgot to mention the question of who would end up handling the money, the machine and the workload who's under 24... That people trust with they're precious love-childs.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Suggestions or Issues