Supanova sales figures

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Supanova sales figures

Postby azahru on Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:50 am

what sort of sales have indy comics had at Supanova? I imagine it varies, but I'd like to get a rough frame of reference.

One option I'm contemplating is to do a limited run of Dreams of Tomorrow for Supanova and review copies to send about the place and (assuming it does sell out) then do another print run with (hopefully) glowing reviews from public grabbing sources.
azahru
Science Hero

Postby Dean Rankine on Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:30 am

Mark Selan did an interesting list of stuff he sold last Supanova in his blog here -

http://saveded.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_ ... chive.html

I hope you don't mind me posting this Mark!?! There's also some pretty snappy photos of female jelly wrestlers and Patrick Alexander wearing a tie :)
Dean Rankine
Evil Genius

Postby azahru on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:26 am

Thanks, interesting reading.

I was certainly impressed with Mark's booth last sydney supanova, it was sort of the Tourism Australia spread, please come and enjoy our country of Australian Comics.

I'd be interested to know how the sales figures went for places where the focus was on a smaller number of comics.
azahru
Science Hero

Postby mark selan on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:11 pm

No prob, Dean link away.

Yeah I think comics on my tables have suffered because i overload and people freak out and scare them away.
But I need the quantity to pay for the table since i only make a small cut from the books (except for the magazine)

Daniel Reed was next to me and he sold just 5 issues of crumpleteon and did pretty good.

From the 3 cons i've sold at, depending on the product (quality/audience/price) between 20-50 is a good average bu that's just me. Others i'm sure have done better and others done worse.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Laocorn on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:39 am

50 is a good number to run with.

(don't go for 200 :P)
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:59 pm

OzTAKU averages about 30 sales of the main magazine.
Our minis vary pretty wildly though, as the sales of those really are dependent on people actually opening them up to have a look.

If you can get them to actually read a couple of pages, then chances are you're going to make a sale, so I recommend having a few display copies on the table and actively encouraging people to read them.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Return to The Business