E-books and E-comics

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

E-books and E-comics

Postby Anomic on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:49 pm

I was surfing on eBay the other day and noticed that Frank Miller???s Sin City is available in e-book format for sale. My question is - has anyone tried to sell their final product especially overseas via an E-book/PDF and if so was it successful. Are there implications for the work just finding its way onto a file-sharing network?

The Sin City E-Book was really very cheap and was delivered to the buyers email so there was no postage or print costs so its an attractive idea - I just want to hear from those who know the reality.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Laocorn on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:51 pm

If my stuff end up on a file-sharing network... I'll be glad that theres ALOT of people reading it.. well at least downloading it.

Lulu.com offers downloadable books and comics through personal shop-fronts, I've had an account for awhile now, but I haven't generated much success with it.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 pm

Yeah after I saw the eBay item I did a quick check with a file sharing site and the Sin City stuff was all over it, so maybe putting it into an e-book form encourages this type of behaviour as you???d have to reasonably hard core to scan a whole book and then post it up. But the e-book format looks so damn attractive price wise both for the seller and the buyer.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:57 pm

If you have a legit copy of Adobe Acrobat (Actual acrobat, not acrobat reader), you can lock eBook PDFs down so that they're only viewable with an authorization code.
Admitedly cracking it would be pretty simple, but it would help in stopping people from pirating it so willy nilly.

I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of comics on the screen. I'll read scanlations of manga that never saw an English print (they're becoming really rare these days though, it's mianly doujin stuff only now), but I actually enjoy the tactile sensation of holding a comic, and I like to be able to bring it close to my face to pick out the finer details. With eBooks, unless they HUGE files, you don't get that kind of clarity because bandwidth considerations means it's just not possible (unless you made it in Flash or Illustrator and the whole thing's Vector graphics)
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby maggie on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:04 pm

Well there's one little problem here. Those Sin City ebooks are not legit.
There is no official Sin city ebook.

And don't be surprised that it's been scanned. There's a whole cult/culture out there scanning comics books. There are site with hundreds of books for download.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Anomic on Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:55 am

maggie wrote:Well there's one little problem here. Those Sin City ebooks are not legit.
There is no official Sin city ebook.

And don't be surprised that it's been scanned. There's a whole cult/culture out there scanning comics books. There are site with hundreds of books for download.

It might be na??ve of me but wouldn???t eBay stop this guy and or the risk of such a public (world wide) exposure would attract the authorities? I was selling a 1st edition, signed book last year and because it wasn???t authenticated eBay closed my sale down within 3 hours. I had to get it authenticated and then repost for the sale to go ahead, so selling something that dodgy would have to catch up to him surely? The guy has sold a lot of em by the looks of it.

Egofreaky, I agree that something you can hold is far more satisfying than the screen and I sell books for that reason. I guess I was just interested in the no print cost, no postage cost especially to overseas buyers. Or just having it as an option for people who aren???t as tactilely fixated as myself.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby mark selan on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:11 am

I saw that same sin city e-book, i'm pretty sure its not legit, since i've never read anything about Dark Horse doing e-books (the closest they've got is the war of the world's web comic).

And Ebay will only do something if there's been a complaint. I'm pretty sure i've seen signed stuff that hasn't been authenticated, just recently i saw a marx brothers autograph set that wasn't authenticated.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby Anomic on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 am

mark selan wrote:I saw that same sin city e-book, i'm pretty sure its not legit, since i've never read anything about Dark Horse doing e-books (the closest they've got is the war of the world's web comic).

And Ebay will only do something if there's been a complaint. I'm pretty sure i've seen signed stuff that hasn't been authenticated, just recently i saw a marx brothers autograph set that wasn't authenticated.

Maybe your right and some bastard complained about my auction the email I got from eBay just stated their policy that if you can???t authenticate you can???t sell - the upside is that I???m now mentioned on an Ion Idress website as having an authentic signed copy of one of his earlier books (which I sold at a very healthy profit :D ).

I guess this whole PDF thing is a bit of a concern in the same way MP3???s are, although I???ll have to admit from what I???ve seen in both the E-books and heard with the ???unofficial??? MP3???s the quality is lacking and the physical format leaves you with nothing tangible. According to some research used in a recent Triple J program those that use file sharing actually end up buying the original because of these issues, maybe it???s the same with the E-books?
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Daniel McKeown on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:27 am

I have purchased a single eBook comic in my time, a fundraiser for Bill Messner-Loebs. It was an enormous download. I had some software issues that meant I somehow lost the software license for the book (I forget the details but remember the frustration) and never finished reading it. Not that I cared particularly, (since the book wasn't the point so much as the donation) but I'm not a big fan of the concept.

Whine time: The time taken to open the cover of a book compared with the startup time for computer and software are enough to make the difference for me, even if the experience were otherwise identical for the two formats.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Return to The Business