[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Whinge- Australian comics where are you?

Whinge- Australian comics where are you?

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Postby Anomic on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:00 am

so is this possible or does it fall into the too hard not practical basket?
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Darren Close on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:15 pm

You know, back in the OzComics forums days I remember reading and making a lot of threads like this as I wanted to see things improve. At that time there was a number of cynics that posted saying it won't work, nothing will happen - which really pissed me off. Here I was with a great idea and these cynical bastards just weren't helping.

Fast forward to now, and sadly I've become one of those very same cynics.

The problem is the apathy in Australian comics and the old adage "Talk is Cheap" couldn't be more apt. Everyone's ready to make suggestions on how to improve things, but very few actually put their hand up to organise it. The only exception that springs to mind is Gavin & Emma's PhaseTwo comics site.

I put my hand up for something called OZONE DISTRIBUTION and created a catalogue and everything for it. But guess what - no-one sent me anything. I had the vehicle ready to go with a tank full of enthusiasm, but no-one could be bothered to fill the cargo compartment. And even then, rather than support what I was trying to do, a lot of people said I shouldn't be ALLOWED to do it because as a publisher and owner of OzComics that it would somehow be a conflict of interest. How petty is that?

Some believed that the only way it could work would be for a moneyman to do it who had no interest in publishing themselves. There's only so many Mark Alessi's in this world, and look what he got for his troubles - bankruptcy.

Too much talk and not enough action - that's always been Australian Comics' greatest problem, and it doesn't look like changing anytime soon. Prove me wrong - PLEASE!
Darren Close
"the Rob Liefeld of Australian comics"
Darren Close
Super Genius

Postby Daniel McKeown on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby Daren White on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:58 pm

Daren White
Super Genius

Postby Anomic on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:59 pm

Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby makepeace on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:36 pm

makepeace
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:32 pm

Last edited by maggie on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby mark selan on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:48 pm

Submit to
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby douglasbot on Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:44 pm

douglasbot
Robot Overlord!

Postby Laocorn on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:01 pm

"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:05 pm

I attempted to do some background research into something similar. I wanted to make an online ordering system that was basically a wholesale version of PhaseTwo, but instead of a central point, it would have been able to email all the comic artists involved seperately with the orders, and split the payments accordingly, and then update the stock inventory from the number comic artists originally stated as being available.
I had the technical know how for it thanks to some of my friends being 4th and 5th year Comp.Sci/Network Eng students who were gunning for a project. But so few of the stores I spoke to were actually interested in that. One even said he wasn't going to give his credit card details to an online operator. It didn't even get to the point of asking comic artists to test out our databasing system.
However, if someone would like to revive this idea, I think it'd be more workable than everyone reporting on stock levels at shops, as well as being more reliable. I'll try and rope some people I know into doing it again if someone can get enough people to commit to using the system.

Darren has an excellent point. Apathy is rife, and it leads to entropy.
EXAMPLE: I offered free advertising space (as in I didn't want anything but a thank you for it) to EVERYONE on OzComics for Iss.2 & 3... Only Knight Edge and NakedFella took advantage... and I've got over 100 stores taking OzTAKU!

Doug: Bourke.st is most likely Comics R Us (as Classic DOES Stock Australian stuff)... They're arseholes there anyway. the VERY stereotyped comic nerd.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby maggie on Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:17 pm

I guess the question that begs to be asked is, "Do we/you really think locations will support a pull system as opposed to us supporting a push system?"

I've not seen much, if any, indication that the stores were interested in any way to being an active participant in the stocking of Aussie comics. I'd say I've seen a great deal of evidence to the contrary (even in this thread it's been mentioned). I'm sure there are the exceptions... but overall most of what I recall reading has been about how reluctant they are to give you the time of day, much less come to your website and place an order.

Avi, do you really think they'd get active (come to you and 'order') versus passive ("here's shelf space, the rest is up to you, kid")?

Maggie

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Laocorn on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:11 am

"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:28 am

Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Darren Close on Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:41 am

Darren Close
"the Rob Liefeld of Australian comics"
Darren Close
Super Genius

PreviousNext