Orphan act

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Orphan act

Postby evilbindi on Sun May 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey
Has anyone sle heard about the ophan act in the US? It is pretty fucked. It pretty much will destroy copyright in the states which could very easily filter to our happy isalnd. Essentally, it will allow anyone to use you work unless it is regestered and claim it as their own.
evilbindi
Superhero

Re: Orphan act

Postby practicecactus on Sun May 11, 2008 9:58 pm

iunno, I think we'll be alright. We got a government with balls now, that won't sell us out without a second thought.
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon May 12, 2008 12:36 am

near as i can tell our trade agreement means that copyright resides in country of residence and all laws applicable to that country apply. so our laws. (which are pretty decent) would not only apply to us here, they'd be inforced in the US on our behalf.

Am i wrong in this?
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby BMB on Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 am

I think I remember reading a huge article about this about a month ago but I cant find the link.

If even half of it was true it's going to be pretty shit for artists, photographers etc. I can't remember the connection but the people most likely to profit from it are already in a position to steamroll the laws through or something so....bugger...can't remember.

Something along the lines of the onus of copyright being YOUR problem, so YOU have to search through millions of images to see if yours is being used illegally. And multiple registries, so an image has to be copywrite(d?) on all of them or the business can just say it checked registry Z and didn't see it as you could only afford to register on X and Y.....
BMB
Science Hero

Postby tonia on Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 pm

The article that was going around about the "orphan works" act was basically a "scare tactic" article and someone wrote a very good analysis of what it actually meant -
Orphan Works FUD from Boing Boing
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby evilbindi on Tue May 20, 2008 7:45 pm

BMB wrote:I think I remember reading a huge article about this about a month ago but I cant find the link.

If even half of it was true it's going to be pretty shit for artists, photographers etc. I can't remember the connection but the people most likely to profit from it are already in a position to steamroll the laws through or something so....bugger...can't remember.

Something along the lines of the onus of copyright being YOUR problem, so YOU have to search through millions of images to see if yours is being used illegally. And multiple registries, so an image has to be copywrite(d?) on all of them or the business can just say it checked registry Z and didn't see it as you could only afford to register on X and Y.....

That is pretty much my understanding of it, my main concern is with sites such as facebook etc
evilbindi
Superhero

Postby rumpusroomie on Fri May 23, 2008 4:21 pm

facebook? their website asserts copyright on anything you post up there anyway so you've already lost ownership
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Return to The Business