Whoring is HARD!

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Whoring is HARD!

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:27 pm

not sure if there's anything worth responding to in this, i'm mainly having a rant to the cyber-cosmos.

This discussion came up after Armegeddon last year and a few other times and i've always sympathised with creators but as my book is on pre-sale and i'm trying to get enough sales to be able to afford to print the thing I've become intensely aware of how daunting self promotion is. A natural market for any new creator is friends and family but how do you sell to them without them feeling OBLIGATED to buy which is not what i want. The whole promotion is fraught with danger for those of us who don't like talking about ourselves. grrr
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Egofreaky on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Instead of getting your friends and family to buy the thing, give them free copies, and have them promote it.

This has actually worked wonders for OzTAKU in the past.
My uncle, a programmer at FujiXerox, took a copy in to work. It helps that he genuinely liked the work inside, and not just because I made it, but he told all the people in his department about it. Classic Comics (where he bought it from, and told people to buy it from) ran out of copies in 4 days apparently (but didn't tell me they needed more) for the first issue.

Sales weren't as brisk for the future issues, but they did rather nicely as the word of mouth spread.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Laocorn on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Personally I don't see the problem as being getting word out about a series, it's actually getting the series into places so that people can find it easily.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby DMH on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Yeah, I can't stand self-promotion, though its something I'm trying to get over.

You could always try using the mighty powers of the internet. Introducing your work on here, maybe MySpace or Facebook if you can be bothered. I think there's others. That way you can "not be yourself" and make a separate page that talks about the comic.

just remember the only thing you're trying to achieve is to get your name and the comic name out infront of people, so hopefully when they see it in a store they'll go "I've heard of that, I'l take a look."

good luck
www.dmhenley.com
www.figment.com.au
www.xou.com.au

is there a difference between fictional logic and logical fiction?
DMH
Sidekick

Postby jpaulos on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am

Why don't you have a launch party? Have copies to sell at a discount and send out invites to local journos.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby antains on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:20 pm

jpaulos,
If everything goes according to plan, the SawBones launch will be quite spectacular.
We're currently trying to infect sheep with rabies, for the event. It's the closest thing we could think of, because reanimation doesn't seem to be easily accomplished in this realm.
I don't know. How does one make a sheep look like a zombie?
I suppose we could take the sheep out on a boat for a few hours, but the timing of their sea-sickness will need to be accurately calculated.

Ant.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby iangould on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:26 pm

It's weird.

I sell other people's comics for a living but I get really uncomfortable selling Local Hero.
iangould
Superhero

Postby jacen_c on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:07 am

iangould wrote:I sell other people's comics for a living but I get really uncomfortable selling Local Hero.

You've just got to embrace your "inner Ho". Say it with me now: "I am a whore! Buy my wares."

P.S: New Mr Bloke tee shirts available at Redbubble. Click the link on the Monstar webcomic page. $100.00 if you want me for the whole night!
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby azahru on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Yes indeed, whoring is hard... although at least I can rave about the fabulous artwork, which provides me with a bit of psychological distance.

You might be able to do some pre-sales with Mal at Impact comics or at least pencil in how many issues they'll buy. House of Heroes in Canberra might be open to it as well. They both support Aussie indy comics, but Impact does seem to be better at actually putting the stuff on the shelves and having a sustained presence.
Writer of poetry, prose, comics and song http://www.lizargall.com

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind https://thingswithout.wordpress.com/
azahru
Science Hero

Return to The Business