Pay Rates

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Pay Rates

Postby Baden on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on what would be acceptable pay rates for writers, pencillers, inkers and colourers, for professional standard work.

Baden
Baden
Superhero

Postby maggie on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:19 am

Ah... the eternal question...

Rates vary wildly, I'm afraid. And since there's no real industry to speak of in Australia, the rates are 'whatever someone offers'. (in the states, a pro penciler on, say, a Marvel book might make $175 a page... or he/she might make $40 working on an indy)

Previous wisdom used to be: Pencilers and colourists get paid by the page. Inkers and letterers by the hour. But inkers often get a page rate instead. Depends.

Anyone got anything more helpful than my mostly unhelpful comments? hehe
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby Baden on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 am

thanks Maggie. Is it usual for the letterers/inkers/pencillers/colourists to then get royalties as well, or is that reserved solely for the writers?
Baden
Superhero

Postby Tom on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:53 am

Are you wondering what to charge for yourself or what to pay other people?
If you are charging for yourself I'd try and find out how much your employer can afford and charge that.
I have no experience in any of this so what I just suggested might not hold. ;)
Tom
Science Hero

Postby maggie on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 am

Royalties are usually between the publisher and the talent. There's no set rule.
Heck, there are very few set rules to the whole notion of payment. And in Australia it's like a wild frontier.

But back to your question.... There's "work for hire", which means "I pay you for something and then I own it and you go on about your life" and then there's various arrangements that people reach in order to either defray the cost of publishing (i.e. - "I don't have money to pay you, will you accept part of the profits") or when there's a collaboration or whatnot.

So... it's kind of a shell game... people pay what they pay. It's all a matter of what someone's willing to work for.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Re: Pay Rates

Postby evilbindi on Sun May 11, 2008 7:54 pm

from talking to other writers, pay rates depend on whether they own what they are writing or if it belongs to the company.
evilbindi
Superhero

Return to The Business