Filling up space

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Filling up space

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:20 pm

Hey folks, i'm going to post this in a few sections cause i think it crosses a few lines. Apologies to those who feel i'm spamming.

I'm currently working on the first collection of Jen and my webcomic (insert plug for Sawbones here)

Due to the fact that when i started the comic i never had any intention of publishing, a bunch of my pages are not the right dimensions for print.

....Which brings me to my question: What have others done with spaces?

Do you offer it as advertising space? Is any local comic actually making money off advertising? Do other comics pay to advertise?
Do you advertise local businesses or value ad for people who have advertised on your site?

Currently i'm inclined to offer the space up for grabs for free to other comics (probably those who fit with my audience so no Ma. Bs or the List) as well as perhaps offer space to advertise for a venue that would throw us a bone for a comic launch.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Trev
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Tom on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:57 am

I looked into this some 7 or 8 years ago and found that there wasn't anyone in the comics business who wanted to pay me to advertise. I tried comic shops too. They were less than enthusiastic. Things might be different now.
I did think of (but didn't persue) looking to see if computer game and music shops or companies wanted to advertise. I think that you may actually get some money from these types. Crossing mediums is the way I reckon.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby Daniel McKeown on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:48 am

Other ideas: Rearrange the panels, add a somewhat related Chibi mini-strip, draw a Sergio Aragones style marginal, add some decorations, add some related text or leave it blank.
Daniel McKeown
Super Genius

Postby rumpusroomie on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 am

I've been doing all of those things too, resizing panels, adding "letters to the editor" from my characters and bios etc.

I just was interested if either A. i could negate some of my costs or B. support other comics. with space that would otherwise cause work for me as i'm trying to put this book together AND continue on with the webcomic.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Philip Bentley on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

Seems like you have two questions really. One relates to the design and the other to the finances.

Firstly you say the pages are the wrong size. How so? If they are simply landscape ie. screen size, rather than portrait is it possible to print that way? If you are locked into a 'comic size' format and your pages are too square I think Daniel's suggestions are all better ideas than ads which I would feel would fight with the strip design-wise. Ads would be better, to my mind, on a seperate page, but as the various respondents have indicated few have had success in finding people prepared to actually shell out the bucks. And I speak here from the 'long' perspective.

PHIL
Philip Bentley
Super Genius

Postby BMB on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 am

If the gap is leaving something like a banner ad shape at the bottom of each page, you could maybe have a little mini strip/gag going on in it? A bit like what I used to see in Mad Magazine along the borders. Not overly detailed so that its takes away from the main comic, but a little group of doodles (not literally) that have a recurring joke or something?

Maybe each page spread is:

left page) Them trying to break the 4th wall etc

right page) The consequence of their actions (Maybe water comes flooding in, wild animals, zombies etc. :D )
BMB
Science Hero

Postby rumpusroomie on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:55 am

It's mainly the strips are a tad short. Not having to work to a prescibed size on the web i'd just make a strip shorter if it didn't need the length but now that's biting me on the ass.

I adjusted that on about strip 35-40 and quite a few are just a matter of only half a centremetre but a few are a bit bigger.

I've filled a bunch already with fun facts about the comics, faux adverts for in strip products and Simon reminded me i should use a bit of space to pimp my Redbubble stuff but MAN ALIVE did i leave a BUNCH of dead space and filling it as well as keeping up with the webcomic, work and a life may be beyond me.

Naturally if i did open it up to advertising (and as i say my inclination to make it free to other Aussie funny paper books/webcomics) i'd want to ensure it fit well within the look of the book.

I was also just interested in general as far as the viability of our community. If we could actually make some dough from advertising in our books we could subsidise the cover price for the readers and perhaps gain a bigger audience who finds some aussie comics cost prohibitive.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Tom on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:50 pm

I didn't know you owned a donkey.
Tom
Science Hero

Return to The Business