Posting on Facebook? BEWARE!

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Posting on Facebook? BEWARE!

Postby Egofreaky on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm

I found this reposted in the Aussie Illustrators group.
Thought people should be aware of it, particularly those that actually are posting their comics and art up on Facebook.

http://thelittlechimpsociety.com/theape ... be-a-ware/

The horror scenario contained within isn't all that likely to happen, but considering the evil sell-all-our-subscribers mentality that Facebook quickly had to back-peddle on recently, you never know.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby antains on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:15 am

Yeah, if you changed every word in that article to Myspace, you would also be on the money.

Actually, her whole experience about installing applications on her computer and not knowing who contacted her sounds very Myspacey than Facebook. I'm not going to defend FB, either, though, because I'm tiring of the insistence of having to recruit 20 people just to check out a Chinese horoscope.

Myspace, on the other hand, owns all recordings that are put on a myspace page, which entitles them to distribute them as a collection and sell to the kids with no profit to the artists.

There was a situation a couple of years ago in which Billy Bragg removed all recordings from his Myspace page and the fans were informed of the Myspace policy and urged to listen to Billy's recordings on his official website.

I'm not sure if this is still in place, but... Actually, there are tracks up there right now.

Nevertheless, the decision is the user's. Put it up and run the risk of missing out on a profit, or put it up and still distribute your own version elsewhere.

FB or Myspace won't own your work, they'll just have a right to make money off it.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby practicecactus on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 am

It all sounds very scary and unfair, but they don't do anything with it.
I mean yeah, like on Myspace, there's bands with profiles and tracks uploaded but Myspace doesn't do anything with that either. Same with youtube. You might get featured on youtube or somethin, but I don't see anything happening along the lines of what's in the terms of agreement you sign.If you were to read that, you'd think youtube could make DVDs of stuff from on their site and you wouldn't get a dime. It's not gonna happen though.
Of course it's all null and void if you delete it off their site. So if anything does happen, you can then just take it down and then they got nothin.

We all freak out and get scared, but it just doesn't happen. I just think it's shit written in a contract that never happens.
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby antains on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:58 am

The contract with Myspace became very explicit about owning the material when NewsCorp bought it. Murdoch (and cronies) thought it was going to be a massive revenue spinner. There are the occassional Myspace album releases, but I don't know anyone who's bought one, nor am I aware of any artist that has been crushed by them.
Practice is spot on. If you care, don't put it up there.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby Ka-ru on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:36 pm

practicecactus wrote:It all sounds very scary and unfair, but they don't do anything with it.

There was this case (SMH article) where Virgin Mobile used a Flickr photo as a part of their advertising campaign with the line "Dump your pen friend" that is sort of similar (in this case, not paying attention to the "share" info when posting), so I guess that it could cause problems.
Dave Kerr
------------
Worlds Away

Remember, half the people you know are below average.
Ka-ru
Superhero

Location: Behind the broken shell of the old No.6 Blast Furnace

Postby Egofreaky on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm

YouTube content has been sold all over the place, evne when it was clearly owned by a professional company somewhere else.
Friday Night Download on TEN paid a rather large sum for that material, and most of it was created and owned by Japanese TV companies
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby evilbindi on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Yeah using either facebook or myspace is risky, for me it is a case of being very careful in my choice of content.
evilbindi
Superhero

Postby andrew.fulton on Thu May 01, 2008 10:55 am

Or, you could avoid myspace and facebook altogether, just put everything up on your own site, and then have some dodgy folk snarf a bunch of it down and make a book out of it.
link
*sigh*
andrew.fulton
Superhero

Return to The Business