Selling stuff online

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Selling stuff online

Postby ModernGentleman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 am

Apologies if there's already a thread about this.
I've just had my comic printed and looking to set up an online shop on my website. I was planning to use PayPal but being completely web illiterate, I can't seem to work out setting up shipping with all the complicated coding melting my brain.
Do you guys have any sites or programs you’d suggest for web stores?
ModernGentleman
Citizen

Postby Demongoldfish on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:24 am

what host are you using for your website? if its a good one they will have a control panel area that will include some basic programs like that. otherwise gimem a few minutes and I'll look some stuff up
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby Demongoldfish on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:27 am

this the kind of thing you are after?

http://www.cubecart.com/site/home/

http://oscommerce.com/

http://www.zen-cart.com/

dunno if they are any good, its what my host jumba.com.au offer and they havn't steered me wrong yet.
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby ModernGentleman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:33 am

A friend of mine hosts my website, so I don't get a control panel or anything. Just a very basic upload area. I'm looking for something pretty basic, at the moment its only for one item. I'll check out those links, thanks for that!
ModernGentleman
Citizen

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:02 pm

OsCommerce is good, it's 100% modifiable, and anything you could want has a free mod out there and waiting. But it's REALLY easily hacked if you don't install some hardcore protection mods either.
Not that YOU need to worry about people stealing your money, although they could place fake orders (unlikely) or attempt to steal the customer information of those that have already created an account with you (more likely).

Zen Cart is similar, and almost as easy (it's what we used for a bit), and less likely to be hacked because substantially fewer people use it. Down side is you need to pay attention to what you're doing, because it's not so well documented :( It's pretty much unzipping filesin the right directories and adding some lines to certain files in notepad, but one typo is enough to bugger the whole site if you're not paying attention

Dunno about the other one.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby andrew.fulton on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:57 pm

If you are selling just the one thing then going all out with a zen-cart/oscommerce etc setup is a little silly. They are waay more trouble than you need. Maybe look at some kind of hosted solution - something like Etsy, but not Etsy. I like the look of Shopify, but it is kind of expensive once you get past the free plan,
Just spend a little bit of time figuring out how to make a couple of paypal buttons, and set up a page where you have an 'add to cart' button, and also have an 'add shipping for international orders' button, which adds a couple of extra bucks to their order. kinda like this guy does: http://comingupforair.net/shop/
It's not super-slick and automagic, but it works.
[/url]
andrew.fulton
Superhero

Postby ModernGentleman on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Good point, Andrew. Perhaps the others suggested would be good to keep in mind for later on, the way that site does international shipping is perfectly fine. Should have thought of that in the first place! Cheers!
ModernGentleman
Citizen

Postby TregorySullivan on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:16 am

Going another direction....Keep in mind that if all you are selling is your comic, you could always set up an account Comixpress.com, Lulu.com, or even CafePress.com. Each of these takes care of all the fuss for you, and you don't need to maintain some sort of inventory...

TS
TregorySullivan
Superhero

Return to The Business