Createspace: Amazon enters the POD business

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Createspace: Amazon enters the POD business

Postby iangould on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:15 pm

http://www.createspace.com/Index.jsp

Amazon is now offering a print-on-demand service.

There's no set-up costs and books are automatically listed on Amazon.

I'm not sure how the costings compare with Lulu but there appear to be wider range of trim sizes.
iangould
Superhero

Postby bluetoaster on Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:41 am

Sounds nice.
Noticed they don't have a standard comicbook size.
(Closest they have is a 7x10" size, or you could go the next one down 6x9-digest size)

Well, I guess we'll soon start hearing the buzz on the grapevine as to whether this will overtake other P.O.D methods.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby matt g on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:51 am

Have a good look at their royalty take. As I read it - base cut of US$3.15 (from memory) *plus* a per page fee, *plus* 30% of the sticker price if it sells through amazon.com.

I suspect on most comics, you'd be lucky to see anything.

Compare to Comixpress for example - per page production fee, and nothing else, no cut of sales through their store or anything.

cheers
matt g.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Bullseye on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 pm

thats why Amazon are worth 190 million dollars, it's business however you look at it
Bullseye
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 am

Still seems a bit rickety... get this, if you change the price of a book it may take up to 15 days for the price to change on the site. That's retarded. That's horse & buggy speed. Perhaps they haven't heard about the Internet yet.

So as far as I can figure, a 24 page comic with B&W interior would fetch Amazon a cut of $3.63 _plus_ 20% or 30% of list (depending on where you sell it). You could not, in fact, price that book at $5 and sell it on Amazon as Amazon's cut would be greater than the $5 list price.

If you're buying the books for yourself, you only pay the fixed cut and page cut, so that's not too terrible. If you buy more than 50 at a time you also get a 10% discount. Order 100 or more and get a 20% discount.

All in all, I'm still luke warm on this unless I had a book I felt I could price in the $20 - $25 range. But it's almost tempting to do it just to have the book listed on Amazon, even if you end up selling mostly (or completel) from somewhere else.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby bluetoaster on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01 am

This kind of analysis is great Maggie.

It helps people figure out in their minds what is worth doing at what time. (ie. Print your short runs/comics with one company(ie. ComixPress/Lulu), while doing your trades with another(Amazon/Lulu, etc.) Perhaps a permanent list of P.O.D & conventional printing should be up somewhere on PuplFaction for people with pros-cons, etc.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Demongoldfish on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:23 am

bluetoaster wrote: Perhaps a permanent list of P.O.D & conventional printing should be up somewhere on PuplFaction for people with pros-cons, etc.

im looking to print something in the next year so this would be great!
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby Egofreaky on Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:31 am

Has anyone looked at how large the file size is for the Amazon POD?
I got sent a link about 2 months ago, and then, it was 25mb... that's not enough to do a comic unless you're happy with something that looks like arse. We're talking about 2mb per page, MINIMUM if you want it to look any good.

That's one of the reasons I can't stick OzTAKU magazine onto the OzTAKUY cafepress site... The max size for book files is way too low :'(
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby bluetoaster on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:05 pm

That sucks Avi.
Maybe sending them a CD is the only option - but then again, if their idea of a good quality book is 25mg worth - then it might be an indication of their quality?

Sounds like a lot of these POD sites are primarily thinking in terms of prose novels. (ie. Word files)

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby andrew.fulton on Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:00 am

Avi - there was this in one of their FAQS: The cover file for your book should not exceed 40 MB; the interior file for your book should not exceed 100 MB. Maybe still not much as you would like for something as thick as oztaku?

This one seems a little wierd:
Due to our unique print-on-demand model, your book may have blank pages at the end. These result as part of the printing process and cannot be eliminated by adding additional pages to your book's print file.
andrew.fulton
Superhero

Return to The Business