Interstate connections

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Interstate connections

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Are there any established networks for distributing work around Australia? Or to put it another way are there publishers in different states who represent other state's publishers?

I'm thinking of a situation where creators who don't have enough money to travel or to set up booths in different states can network with a LAC in Melbourne or TAK in Perth etc for that State's comic-cons or their local book store connections.

I'm sure i've not made any sense here. Basically what i'm asking is if publishers have formed "alliances" to leverage off the local knowledge of other publishers?
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Troy Kealley on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm always happy to help out by taking others comics to cons - I usually put the call out when I'm heading to a WA event. We did try to ge a bit of a collective thing happening, but I think we all have enough work on our hands just getting our own comics done.
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby bluetoaster on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:51 pm

I think it's a good idea.

Personally, I think more creators might go for it - if the work your putting on your table is similar to your own. I know I wouldn't exactly like the idea of putting some of my more mature books, right next to an kiddie-animal comic.

Thats the only thing I could see as an ethical hurdle.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby rumpusroomie on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Troy were you trying to create some kind of network like this on the TAK site? I see a link to something that sounds like this idea but the link goes nowhere for me.
rumpusroomie
Master of Time

Postby Troy Kealley on Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:19 pm

Ya like I said I gave it a shot and plenty of people were interested, but just not able to put the work in (myself included). Handling a large number of other people's comics - when it comes to trying to distribute to stores - is a suprising lot of paperwork! Cheifly I was hoping to get a newsletter system to at least advertise Aus comics to the respective stores, but even that requires a lot more work than I thought.

Basically for this to work we'd need to have someone do it for a living - taking commissions from our already slim margins!

I think that pooling resources is the only way to go - thus why I joined up with Local Act. The results speak for themselves there!
Troy Kealley

My scribblings:
http://www.comicspace.com/radiotak/
Troy Kealley
Robot Overlord!

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:11 pm

I think that pooling resources is the only way to go - thus why I joined up with Local Act. The results speak for themselves there!

They certainly do! The WA material was a big hit at the recently attended Douji-Con. With LAC we actually have a system where LAC contributors can purchase other LAC titles at a discounted rate for event that I cant make it to and once they sell for the cover price a nice little profit is to be made by the seller. Cross promoting between creators will really help with everybody's sales and distrobution (I'm speaking in terms of events/cons/festivals).

The one thing that I have found with the last 2 events that I attended in Melbourne was that having a range of books is essential. While there are usually 1 or 2 books that move more than others you will always move some of the other stuff that you have on display. The more you have to choose from the better your chances of making a sale. While I'm not sure if this will help to create an 'industry' it certainly paves the way for a more cohesive community which could lead to bigger projects and setting up the foundation for projects that may one day be named as the launch titles for the 'Australian Comic Industry' - I have no doubt in my mind that if we keep aiming and start working together we'll get there.

Thems me thoughts anyways :)

Youre humble manservant,

Dave.C
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby bluetoaster on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:47 am

davidjcunning wrote:... I have no doubt in my mind that if we keep aiming and start working together we'll get there.

Along with the monthly meets, the forums & conventions - the thing that warms my heart is people's helpful & friendly attitude (like David's). It's so un-hollywood (theres no malice or underhandedness) - and gives an 'air' of trust in the comics community that there is always someone there to give advice, help & guidance for the unsure or needy.

It really should give all the novice creator's confidence, that if you're willing to do the comic-work - you'll have people willing to bat for you, & help you.

These last 2 years seems to be a great time in Australian comics, with the emergence of new publishers, new conventions, books & creators. Everything is in place. All thats needed is people to produce great work. I love it.

It's a great time to be on board.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Return to The Business