Let me pick your brains peoples - the paper, the paper!

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Let me pick your brains peoples - the paper, the paper!

Postby azahru on Tue May 08, 2007 1:50 pm

What paper weight to people recommend to get good line art without much showing through the other side?

I'm thinking of having 8 pages of colour in the middle, I imagine it would be best to make the paper there have a higher gsm too if I want good image quality.

So what GSMs do you recommend peoples for

covers
internal black and white
colour

I'm putting together a grant application that involves giving publishers in the states etc a sexy promo booklet of cool stuff I have done, so there is room to spend money, although not too much money or it will jeopardise my grant application.

Probably a print run of 100 so offset printing isn't an option, it'll be a digital run.

... whoah it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about!
Writer of poetry, prose, comics and song http://www.lizargall.com

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind https://thingswithout.wordpress.com/
azahru
Science Hero

Postby bluetoaster on Tue May 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Best advice I can give you - especially since your looking at a short-run, is to go to you local KwikKopy or Kinkos (or any other place that offers short runs) and ask to see their samples of papers & booklets.)

Usually, they're more than willing to help if you tell them what your after. You'll be surprised at the quality of what they have. I've done this for my own small-run & highly recommend it.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby azahru on Tue May 08, 2007 3:08 pm

I'm a bit worried about how the paper will take the ink, especially when it is a solid layer of colour from bleed to bleed. I'll definitly check out kwik copy, but my trust of printers is a little limited so I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

With dreams of tomorrow there was a whole saga with rollers pulling ink and cost blow outs and all sorts of things - someone else was doing printer liaison a mistake I won't repeat if it's my cash on the line (and is why wholesale price for DoT is slightly less than production costs). Information is power :)

Things Without Arms and Without Legs, comic about creatures who are kind https://thingswithout.wordpress.com/
azahru
Science Hero

Postby mark selan on Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Sureshot Presents uses
90gms interiors and 200 exteriors

in mormal reading light you can just barely see the text/images on the other side.
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby jpaulos on Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Short run colour will probably mean digital printing, which limits you paper choice ... I'd ask your printer for a sample print first.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Tue May 08, 2007 8:56 pm

How's it being printed?
If you're getting it done at a copyshop, they'll use laser printers. My recommendation would be for a 180gsm minimum, and unless you want it to be painfully glossy, go for a paper with a matte finish. Even the mildest gloss on laser specific papers gets some painful reflection action going on. The Matte finish will also help prevent the paper from being sticky in hotter weather (don't laugh, it happens) and keep the colour from fading for longer.
Colourtech make a nice one.

If you're printing ink, you're going to want to get something that's got a sublimation layer in it, which is going to make getting a matte finish hard to find. It also means that you have colour sitting IN the paper as opposed to ON it, so you're probably going to want to go to a 210gsm.
Kodak has a good quality double sided paper for this sort of stuff.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Gary Lau on Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 pm

For Shiranui, it was all done on laser photocopier at my local MBE (Mail Box Etc). 80gsm B&W interior pages and 210gsm full colour cover with a matte gloss (semi-gloss) finish. I also had a 160gsm tracing paper insert that I especially ordered.

That's generally the paper stock I've used for all the Knight-Edge comics as well. Issue #1 & #2 were both done at a printer using offset printing and #3 interior pages were laser copied and cover was done offset on a 260gsm I think.

For small print runs, I'd seriously recommend a copy centre and talk to someone there who knows their stuff. Paper thickness generally won't make much of a cost difference but will affect the end result of your book. Thicker paper will be harder to fold and general copy centres won't have those press machines that fold and flatten your book.

If you're planning to have a laminate finish on the cover, I'd also recommend not going beyond 210gsm as thicker paper stock means more issues.

And like Jason said, always ask to see a test or sample copy before going ahead with the whole print run.

Good luck!
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby azahru on Wed May 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks guys.

'cause it's for a grant I have to get 3 quotes, so armed with your info I shall go forth and hassle printers and copy shops.

azahru
Science Hero

Return to The Business