The art of third dimensions...

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

The art of third dimensions...

Postby spank everest on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:50 am

Got a question:

Say you were running a publishing company and you had a bunch of artists working for you. They're all 2D artists and suddenly a 3D artist comes along and shows you his stuff and you say that's awesome - I'd love to have you on board.

Do you think he should be paid more or less than a 2D artists? Or just the same rates?

Any 3D creators out there who can offer some advice?
If fate makes you a motorcycle, you become a motorcycle.
spank everest
Superhero

Postby Lee Gracie on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:31 am

What do you mean by 3D art. Do mean by 2D art, like art was drawn back in the 30s 40s & 50s?
Fear what you can't understand and hate what you can't conquer, bitch!
Lee Gracie
Super Genius

Postby spank everest on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:36 am

3D art: I mean digital stuff. Like video games style.

2D art: Sketches/Drawings.

Sorry if I'm being vague.
spank everest
Superhero

Postby apple head on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:02 pm

It really depends on the job. I would say because these days it's easier to find a Maya artists then an illustrator I would say that the 3D artist should b paid less.

I know that at an animation Studio a storyboard artists usually gets paid more then an animator.

Then again I also heard that Weta digital employees get a healthier pay packet then Weta workshop.

I would say just use your judgement and see if you find the 3D guy more valuable then your 2D guy pay him more.

It's kinda like the IT boom in the early 90's when anybody who worked with computers was earning good money, and now it's just another minimum pay job. I think the Computer artist isn't anywhere near as valued as say they would have been 5 years ago.
apple head
Super Genius

Postby maggie on Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:33 pm

I'd have to say that, like the 2-D artists, it depends on what they're being asked to do. They're both artists, just of a different sort. I honestly don't think I could just whole cloth say "this type of artist will get paid more money".

I have friends who do both, and thoey all work hard at their craft whether they use a pencil or a mouse.
maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby H PoP on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Don't I know about the IT bust...

Pay the 3D artist the same as the 2Ds. This goes especially if your place is small. It's best not to devalue the other artists work.

Generally, pay depending on the level of skill and the actual role they'd be doing.
H PoP
Super Genius

Postby apple head on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:22 pm

I wouldn't say the IT trade crashed, but it's not as lucrative as it was in the early 90s

Kinda like 3D computer art,

Not trying to devalue 3D artists which these comments usually do, sorry. Same thing happened when Lion King made a shit load of money, 2D animators made a mint. I heard stories where clean up artists were lured to fox or dreamworks with heavy paychecks and relocation money.
apple head
Super Genius

Postby spank everest on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 am

Yeah, I'm leaning towards just paying them the same as the 2D. I agree that you can't put more value on someone's craft.

And if I get attitude from a particular artists who thinks they should be earning more than the others....well, I wouldn't wan't that kind of person on board anyways! :)

Thanks everyone!!
spank everest
Superhero

Return to The Business