Help with numbers

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Help with numbers

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:03 am

A project I’m involved in is staring to quite serious and I’m currently in a position where I need to write a business plan in order to do this I need a a few things that someone out ther might be able to help with.

First I need a reliable idea of what proportion of overall sales do Australian made comic book make.

I also need rough estimates of what percentage of people actually buy comic books and related materials

How much the average punter shells out per month on these items.

I’m looking for hard evidence if it’s available and/or suggestions on website I can go to etc.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Daren White on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:37 am

What kind of publishing are you considering? Most of the answers would depend on your approach. For example, if you self publish and go through Diamond, then 95% of your sales will be overseas. If you don't go through Diamond then 95% of your sales will be from Australia.

If you're asking what proportion of total annual comic sales worldwide, are generated by Australian published comics, then its probably close to 0%.

Is the business plan for you or a prospective publisher/investor?
Daren White
Super Genius

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:43 am

My advice is don't bother. If you want to make money open a shop. If you want to publish comics then publish comics. Your losses will be overridden by the warm fuzzy feeling you get knowing your work is 'out there' (whatever that means ...)
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:53 am

Hey Daren,

Please understand I have to be careful about spilling beans…

The project I’m involved with has caught the eye of government and industry people and as a result the team have been invited to participate in higher level support and opportunities.

The expectation is that we’ll need to prove our business case in a presentation so I can't just pull the figures out of my arse.

I need an idea of how many people in the Australian population buy comic books e.g. (an arse figure may be) 200,000 out of 20 million

How much does that 200,000 spend per month or year on these items

How much (percentage) of those items or $ amount would Australian comics make up

JP This is not about self publishing and or even about making comics in the end…
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:02 am

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if your project isn't about comics then why are you asking people about comic book sales on a comic book web site?
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:06 am

I have my reasons and with a bit of lateral thinking its not that hard to guess…
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:08 am

Well I must be stupid coz I don't know what the heck you're on about ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:17 am

Was the information I provided you with on your film making venture bogus or in fact any information I’ve given to many people on this site? I think over the years on PF I’ve proved that there is very little about me that isn’t legit therefore I wouldn’t be asking these questions if they weren’t 100% relevant. I could explain more but that’s giving my purpose away and as it currently stands this is a piss your pants opportunity that I for one am not going to blow.
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:43 am

Well in that case I'll volunteer the following information gleaned from 20 years publishing Australian comics ...

Question: How much (percentage) of those items or $ amount would Australian comics make up

Answer: Sod all.

Good luck with your project, you'll need it.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks JP

Anyone else with at least figures or websites with estimated comic book consumer numbers in Australia?
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 am

Ha! Sorry Anomic, I'm succumbing to my inner grump. It's just that sometimes I feel like I've heard this all before.

Now how about those figures. Anybody?
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby dillon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:58 am

"First I need a reliable idea of what proportion of overall sales do Australian made comic book make. "

does that exclude stuff that's repackaged and published here like FREW and OTTER PRESS?
dillon
Super Genius

Postby tonia on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:00 pm

I think the problem is with Australian comics is that most of them are from hobbists and we don't have many figures on sales that would be very useful - I'd email the Phosphorescent guys as they are the closest thing to a commercial publisher Australia has. they might be able to tell you a bit about sales - as for general comic book consumption, maybe comic book store owners know about that sort of thing - not sure what your project is but it may help to point out the kids magazines that publish comic strips, as I'm thinking they are far more profitable in Australia than the comic book direct market.
Last edited by tonia on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Daren White on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Graham, drop me an email on dwhite@carternewell.com. I can probably help you if I know a bit more of the specifics. I'm a Chartered Accountant and work for a law firm, and so anything you email to me is confidential.
Daren White
Super Genius

Postby Anomic on Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:14 pm

Dillon and Tonia -

In terms of Australian comic books I suppose its more the independents and people like phosphorescent (and yes the same message is on their site).

By comic book I really mean the Marvel’s, DC’s, etc both regular comics and graphic novels although if I could get merchandise figures I’d be stoked.

I need to prove that people like you buy stuff in amounts to make it worthwhile investing in.

The Australian comic figures are me just trying to supply another strand to the argument but ultimately it’s neither here or there, if general sales volume can be proven.

JP I’m sure you’ve seen it all before and maybe it’ll all fall flat on it face leaving me looking like a jackass. But I think even a grizzled old-timer like yourself would jump at the brass ring just one more time… :)
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Next

Return to The Business