self produced indie or big business?

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

self produced indie or big business?

Postby Demongoldfish on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 am

ok so with any luck by the end of this year im hoping to have enough decent stuff to make into a comic or a book or something. was hoping to get some advice as to wether i should bother sending my work to a bunch of producers and [asuming they like it] getting it printed that way or just saying fuck the middle man and make my own/get them printed... would love to hear peoples experiences from both sides. sorry if this has been asked before
Demongoldfish
Science Hero

Postby jpaulos on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:55 am

I'm pretty sure this kind of query has been debated at length and there is at least one stock answer on this but I would go with 'fuck the middle man and make my own/get them printed' if I were you. Good luck. Try www.lulu.com for a good deal on self publishing.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:01 am

Unfortunately, for anyone living outside of Continental USA or Europe, LuLu is no longer such a great deal...

You could do both, honestly...
After all, as you've got incredibly limited resources compared to a publisher, you're unlikely to be able to produce a huge run of your comic, so why not produce some for sale, AND pimp it around to a few different publishers in the mean time?
Considering your art style, you're already incredibly limited in who it can be submitted to, as there are few that don't deal in the very generic styles (i.e Standard MArvel Super Hero type, Manga, kiddy anthros, etc.)
Why not hit up a few of the local kids magazines with some child friendly content? Or if you're feeling a little risque, even Australian Mad Magazine... we've got a few artists here that are already doing work for them from time to time and could probably give you the low down.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Return to The Business