to team up, or not to team up

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

to team up, or not to team up

Postby Michael The Janitor on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:31 pm

in Australian comics... what do YOU think will acheive more
a team comic: seperate writer, drawer, inker, editor etc
a semi team comic:writer and drawer
lone comic: 1 person does everything
Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:18 pm

A one person does everything appraoch is a fantastic way to burn yourself out creatively, and lose all faith in humanity...
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby azahru on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:50 pm

Team up if you can, depends on what you want to do and where you are at, what level of involvement you get from people.

As someone who does a fair chunk of volunteer management folks need clear 'asks' and the kind of ask depends on what sort of involvement that person is prepared to do.

An ask for someone you have a good relationship with and a sense of shared vision could be Can you do these things, I'll do these things and there is a high degree of responsibility. Asks for people with less involvement could be 'can you do this specific thing in this timeframe?' - eg ink these pages, photocopy these proofs, help me with stapling, give me your thoughts on this work etc.

Especially when you're the person driving the vision (rather than folks sharing and driving the vision together) it's important to keep the asks realistic and often good to start out small, get people to do small tasks before you ask them to do big ones (especially if it's something they haven't done what you're asking before). It's also an opportunity to test your volunteers and see how much they are prepared to do and how reliable they are.

And if someone is unreliable and you're also friends with them there is an important line between dissapointment and feedback in relation to the project and your friendship. Sometimes it can be blurred to disastrous effect.

An example I got a friend to help with a project, often a great way to go and normally works quite well, however this person was not very good at saying no and was saying things were fine when they were far from fine and it was a nightmare. I was very angry and dissapointed and expressed this but was careful to keep it in such a way that meant it was about the project. I value this person as a friend, we were friends before, we are friends afterwards, we learnt a chunk and will never work together again, but our friendship remains. I think if that had happened to me when I was younger and the sort of temper I have it could have easily become a friendship destroying event, but fortunatly a degree of professionalism prevented that.

Hope I haven't scared you off, it's fantastic to collaborate with others, I really enjoy it, but it is important to be realistic about what you're asking people, people can be very helpful even if they're not consumed by the dream to the same degree you are.
azahru
Science Hero

Postby bluetoaster on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Egofreaky wrote:A one person does everything appraoch is a fantastic way to burn yourself out creatively, and lose all faith in humanity...

haha...
Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

B.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Laocorn on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Tomato, Tomato
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby The Ugly Soldier on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:21 am

Farenheit is a two man job. Me: The Writter, Inker, worder, colourist and everything except penciller.

Yukana: Penciller, although I will probably get her to do more stuff down the track. I don't see her often enough, though. I used to see her like everyday but she moved schools so now only on Fridays at Youth and sometimes on the bus and she doesn't have a scanner so yeah.
The Ugly Soldier
Hero

Postby davidjcunning on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:12 am

I think the best thing about working in a team is getting a fresh perspective or seeing something from another angle that you would have otherwise missed.
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Return to The Business