[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Tips/Advice for exhibiting at conventions

Tips/Advice for exhibiting at conventions

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Tips/Advice for exhibiting at conventions

Postby Frank Candiloro on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi all,

So after pursuing comics for a year, doing my own webcomic. finally getting a couple of books on the stands and with a ton of more comic-related projects from me coming soon, I figured that at some point in the near (or distant, whichever comes first) future I'd start exhibiting my stuff at various conventions. As I know plenty of people around here have exhibited their stuff, I just thought I'd ask for any tips and advice for me (and others) that plan on exhibiting for the first time: what conventions to exhibit to, sharing a table etc.

Thoughts? Be gentle, it's my first time! :)

Frank Candiloro
Superhero

Re: Tips/Advice for exhibiting at conventions

Postby AndreiB on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 am

I don't have much experience in this but uhhhh.... clearly mark your prices?
Haptic research has let salespeople know for decades that people are more likely to buy something they can pick up, feel, interact with, before laying their money down. So don't stop people from touching your wares unless there's a very good reason.
And um, smile too.
AndreiB
Superhero

Postby jpaulos on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 am

Don't print too many books. Oh, and make sure you've got a good table ie: not right next door to the Star Trek fan society.
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Laocorn on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Hire Alex Major or Paul Abtruse to sell them for you.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby agent_x on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Make sure your stand is manned by extremely hot male & female models, who have very skimpy outfits on, that can be partly recognised as cosplay uniforms.
If you can't get sales with that, nothing will work for you.
Agent-X Comics
agent_x
Superhero

Postby Laocorn on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Or have a gimmick. Gimmicks work well.
"The Best Way to be Remembered is to Have a Life Worth Remembering" - Bruce Lee.

Laocorn
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Sharing a table is good. Tables can cost $200 plus so to increase your profit margin sharing is the way to go. As far as marking prices (sorry Andei) everybody asks "how much is this?" so write a price list but expect to say "it's $5" a milion times over.
Don't be afraid to pull people over, don't be afraid of rejection, enjoy yourself, don't have any expectations (the crowd changes from con to con).
I've been told that posters sell well. Buttons. Stickers.
So much has to to do with the way you sell yourself and as Loacorn said Paul Abstruse will sell everything. Spend a convention next to him and you'll see what selling is all about.
Remember, have fun!
Good luck
Tom
Science Hero

Return to The Business