Benefitting from Piracy.

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Benefitting from Piracy.

Postby matt g on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Folks,

Like many people, I fall into a position regarding piracy which amounts to "piracy is bad, but the law / collecting agency response is excessive". I don't want my stuff pirated, but by the same token, I can't see what possible justification there ever is for a hundreds or thousands of dollar fine for something worth a few dollars.

Interesting news thing this week then about a comic artist who found his work had been scanned, and posted in full to 4Chan. Long story short, he joined in the discussion, talked to the people who were posting his stuff, and his sales went through the roof.

Article here.

Cheers,
mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Re: Benefitting from Piracy.

Postby AndreiB on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

I read that earlier this week.

What the article doesn't mention is whether Underground sold ANY copies at all after it became free. We need to remember this artist's Etsy was packed to the gills with prints, original art and items that wasn't just the 5-issue collection of Underground on sale there. If there's any lesson to be taken, I suppose it's that having more than one product and giving your market choice is good?

Before we run to say free comics are the future, we should get some figures on sales of the actual comic, rather than a mixture of Etsy retail items. Not all comic artists want to use Etsy to sell prints and original work.
Writer and illustrator of Dead by Thirty.
AndreiB
Superhero

Postby matt g on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:03 pm

The reportage linked is that the sales spike is for the comic itself, it doesn't mention anything about prints or other merch. His etsy store is selling (and selling out of) the book.

I'm sure there'll never be ONE way to go about it, but given the choice between what this guy did, vs Metallica-esque whining, it's easy to see which strategy makes the artist look better.

cheers
mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby AndreiB on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry, I didn't read your article properly earlier - I was going off the comics alliance article that came out earlier that didn't put the graph into context as well -> http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/10/2 ... ted-scans/

I eat my words. Pirating is good.
Steve Lieber indeed made himself look like a legend in that thread that your article links to. No outrage. No plea for legitimacy. Just comes across as some chilled out artist who doesn't give a shit about money at all.
The entire comic community needs to do business experiments with all this sort of stuff with controlled variables.
Writer and illustrator of Dead by Thirty.
AndreiB
Superhero

Return to The Business