Newsagency Distributor Closes

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Newsagency Distributor Closes

Postby Baden on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:08 pm

http://www.proprint.com.au/News/217346,ipmg-shuts-distribution-arm-ndd-after-drop-in-volume.aspx

NDD, one of the companies who dominates magazine (and comic) distribution in Australia is being closed down due to falling volumes.

The parent company is a very well run and respected printing company, so it has to be looked at as being solely related to the distribution business itself.
Baden
Superhero

Re: Newsagency Distributor Closes

Postby Egofreaky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Well that clearly sucks.

Does mean it's going to be that much harder to get comics out there on a regular basis due to the poisoned well effect.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby Baden on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Wait to see I guess. Gordon & Gotch (the surviving competition) distribute our books and The Phantom (and have been very good) but NDD had (I think) The Simpsons books and a few others.

I doubt it will affect the ability of new books to get onto shelves much as they weren't really all that receptive to new books anyway.

It's just sad as they are a direct descendant of the old Federal Comics and it's another nail in the coffin of newsagents and print mags in general.
Baden
Superhero

Postby jpaulos on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Having been treated crappily by all the major distributors (including NDD) I can't say I'm sad about this news. Hopefully G & G will continue to support local publishers like Black House. If they can't make it work I doubt anybody can!
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:10 am

I think the biggest problem is simply that no one goes to newsagencies for comics anymore, and newsagents themselves are a dying business.
They can't compete with OfficeJerks for stationary, and magazines seem to be the domain of either the intensely large newsagents and Borders now.

For a while a few years ago, OzTAKU was getting stocked in some of the larger newsagents, and did good sales comparatively for the section, but those were still pretty shitty sales in terms of actual figures.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby HabbaChoobie on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:51 am

Considering that comicsmonkey is (seemingly) still down, and that people on the Lulu Fora are still complaining about comics-POD issues, this might be an opportunity for you, Baden.

Can you expand your repetoire to offering a POD for Aussies that will give an Aussie comics-auteur a better profit margin than Lulu or KaBlam? Starting with manga (or comics-digest size such as Archie) only, to make things easy, since these are sold in bookstores, and Borders, and semi-indie bookstores such as Pages, and would not be reliant upon the LIMITED AS HELL number of Oz Comics shops and - more importantly - cut out the schoolyard bully known as "Diamond"?
HabbaChoobie
Hero

Postby Baden on Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:54 am

I have been looking into setting this up here.

I could easily set up a working POD system for floppies tomorrow, if any bookstores were interested in carrying the items. If you look at http://www.blackboox.net you will see that I am actually offering Trev and Jen's Sawbones "The Time Being" as a POD right now.

It is a lot more difficult when it comes to trades and variances thereof like digests and manga. You need to have a certain amount of quantity in each format to make it work and it is only right now that I have the first Manga book we have worked on going through the factory.

In summary I am working on it but all my time at the moment is consumed with commercial print work. Once the nation has decided between Julia and Tony, I will be back on the case.
Baden
Superhero

Return to The Business