Elector! 2010 - Submissions

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Elector! 2010 - Submissions

Postby Baden on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:49 am

Hi all

Black House Comics is looking to put out an anthology dealing with the upcoming federal election. This comic will be distributed through our normal channels - Australian newsagencies, http://www.blackboox.net and any comic store who wants it.

The material is up to you - serious, irreverent, bizarre, make a point, make a joke, left, right, Family First. As long as we are not going to get sued this is a chance to have your say, comic book style.

The format will be A4, so 297*210mm. We will be printing in colour although B&W is welcome. To get as many stories in we would like to limit individual submissions to between 1-8 pages. Files should be 300dpi at print size with 5mm bleed and trim marks included.

This is a once off so only a small payment will be offered. The rights to the story will remain with you - we just want to print it this once and offer it for sale on http://www.blackboox.net into the future as a POD.

Submissions can come to me at badenkirgan@blackhousecomics.com or via the http://www.blackhousecomics.com website.

No one knows when the election is going to be but it will be sometime between August and December this year, so ideally we would like to get any submissions in by the end of July. If issues come up you feel would work in a comic and the election hasn't been called, please feel free to send them to us any time as the book will not be printed/distributed until the actual election is called. In fact the more current the issues the better.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Baden
Baden
Superhero

Re: Elector! 2010 - Submissions

Postby Dean Rankine on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Well, I'm glad I didn't start working on a submission before today!
Dean Rankine
Evil Genius

Postby jacen_c on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Too true, Dean. I got a corker of an idea for a submission...here's a sneak peek:

jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby Baden on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 am

Jacen - that is great and would have made a fantastic cover.

Alas, with the election probably coming sooner than expected, no submissions received and only one indication of any interest at all, this project is most likely cancelled.
Baden
Superhero

Postby J Marc on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:17 pm

After marking off all 84 squares on the senate ballot paper yesterday, and reading Ted Mack's criticism of the election process in the Herald the day before, I had a great idea for a comic: "How does the senate voting thing work, exactly?" I'm guessing a lot of people don't understand it fully. In drawing it I could also figure it out myself. Shall we reconvene in 2013, Mr B?
J Marc
Superhero

Postby Dean Rankine on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:14 pm

J Marc wrote:"How does the senate voting thing work, exactly?

I imagine they wave a ground hog over each senate candidate. And if it sees its shadow, wham, straight to the upper-house. It's either that or a fortune telling octopus. Or a fight to the death in the thunder-dome. Or possibly paper, rock, scissors ...
Dean Rankine
Evil Genius

Postby Baden on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 am

It is something i would dearly love to do. I was surprised that i had absolutely no interest in the idea - an anthology going out through newsagents and one that would have been guaranteed media coverage.

It would have been a good test run for a regular book we had planned but with such little interest we have revised our plans. Maybe the it was theme that just didn't take.

I doubt we will have to wait until 2013 Marc. Hung parliaments are nearly always cut short by instability, which means we could be back at the polls anytime from November this year on. I would get drawing now if you are keen.
Baden
Superhero

Postby J Marc on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 am

Yeah, I would have liked to have had a go but I was a bit busy at the time, and also I didn't have any good ideas, till now! I'll start researching the "Understanding Senates: The Invisible Art" comic.
J Marc
Superhero

Return to The Business