eBooks and iPad

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

eBooks and iPad

Postby Voltarrens on Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 am

Anyone considering using these as a way of getting comics out there on the net?
Just looking for some information on applications and feed back for this . . .
"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out" -- Alfred Hitchcock.
Voltarrens
Superhero

Re: eBooks and iPad

Postby Tom on Mon May 31, 2010 11:52 am

Personally I never liked looking at comics on a computer screen and while there are zillions out there I don't think that they will ever massively gain in popularity until there is a popular reader that is front lit. Back lit still images just don't work imo; they hurt your eyes.
But this is just me being an old stick in the mud.
I think web comics, ecomics etc are going to gain in popularity with the ipad but in the end I think, really, it's all about marketing. If you market yourself well; you'll do well, no matter what platform.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby matt g on Mon May 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Tom wrote:Personally I never liked looking at comics on a computer screen and while there are zillions out there I don't think that they will ever massively gain in popularity until there is a popular reader that is front lit.

The problem isn't backlighting, so much as retina-searing excessive backlighting in dim conditions. The iPad has an ambient light sensor and dims the screen in response to lower ambient light. I suspect in fact that most of the "problems" with reading comics on a screen simply won't apply to iPad versions, as I mentioned in another thread recently.

cheer
mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby antains on Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 pm

I think Bulls_eye (Rhys MacDonald) and Sawbones (Trev Wood) are looking into it.

There's a couple of apps for the iPhone that facilitate delivery of comics. I've seen a few comments about iPad apps being developed, too.

The options would be to either develop a standalone app for your own comic or piggy back off an existing provider. Either way it is happening and with the ongoing proliferation of good webcomics, it will be reflected on these platforms.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:30 pm

It does need to be pointed out that a proper eBook reader isn't front or back lit. It's a series of magnetic dots that are raised to the surface, in the exact same fashion as an etch-a-sketch. Just programmable and with a better resolution.
Having played a bit with an Kindle, provided you don't mind being 200dpi B&W only, it's the same on the eyes as reading a book.
This is in comparison to reading books on my HTC, which is backlit (and awesome for reading in the dark with).

Manga BlackBox[/urk], if you can wade through the Chinglish, seem to provide iPhone publishing for independent cartoonists that get in touch with them, although they seem to have recently started.There's also [url=/www.iversecomics.com]iVerse Comics, who seem a LOT more professional, but has all that comes with that (rejection of people that don't meet editor standards, even though costs have asically been cut to a minimum now). Both of these companies seem to be focused on iPhone but coming around to iPad as well.

The self publishing route is also open once again, for those willing to make their comic into an app, with all the trappings of self publishing - mainly, how the hell do you promote it enough to be able to see sales with a decent return for your time? Or even get noticed in the app market place at all?
Will you get rid of printing costs and wasted stock altogether by risking online sales only? With maybe the occasional bluetoothing or USB trade over at conventions?
Or will you attempt to sell it at comic stores on a cheap USB / SD memory device with the write-access tab removed? Bringing in a whole new (albeit it much smaller) printing cost and wasted stock issue? (for what it's worth, I'm seriously looking into the SD card option)

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Ka-Blam or ComixPress haven't jumped on this yet, though, as they're the known names in self-publishing for comics at the moment.
LuLu's always had an ebook format, but it's been pretty poorly protected and promoted PDF wrappers.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby wilco440 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:48 am

This is something that has interested me for a while because, whatever you think of the iPad itself, devices like this are going to have a HUGE impact on comics. The iPad ain't the first (and from what I'm reading it sure as hell isn't going to be the last), and initially it seemed like not much more than a bigger iPhone - and without the phone bit - but having had one of these things for a few days I'm starting to think of this thing as a real game changer.....

And like the record industry a few years ago, I don't think the big, mainstream comic publishers have woken up to the fact that there's a new player in town. Maybe it's not quite there yet, and getting stuff in and out of the thing is still a real tit - which as a content creator I find is really frustrating - but the moment you get your hands on one of these things and see how easy they are to use (and how many different functions they can already handle) they just shout new possibilities.....

I'll have one with me on Saturday at the Melbourne meet, and will certainly bore the pants off anyone willing to listen.....

colin
wilco440
Hero

Postby Gary Lau on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:01 pm

I've played with an iPad and although I like the idea of it, for me, it still lacks a few things like a webcam and a usb port for me to purchase one. Might wait for 2nd gen or possibly one of the other non-Apple tablet.

The reason why I'd purchase an iPad is I've been playing with the Marvel and Comixology apps for the past couple of months on the iPhone and I reckon they are awesome. The touch response is a little bit better with the Marvel app but they both work great as e-readers for comic books.

I saw Gestalt already have Bobby N's Digest comics coming out on Panelfly (US only for now) over on twitter this morning. So I'm sure everyone are already thinking about this.

I think even optimising your webcomic (if you have one) to the iPad screen res would be a step in the right direction.
Gary Lau
Super Genius

Postby matt g on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Gary Lau wrote:I've played with an iPad and although I like the idea of it, for me, it still lacks a few things like a webcam and a usb port for me to purchase one. Might wait for 2nd gen or possibly one of the other non-Apple tablet.

the camera connection kit dongle gives you a usb port. I'd bet money that you'll never see an actual usb socket on the iPad itself.

cheers,
mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby Gee Hale on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 am

We're actually in the middle of processing our comic being turned into ecomic. We can't really say if it'll be a success, but I think it's worth a try!
Gee Hale
Superhero

Postby Voltarrens on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Thankx everyone for the replies, it's helpful. And thankyou to Colin who brough along his iPad to the meet-up on Saturday. Would have liked to have talked more but we seemed to get a bit lost in the crowd as a more people arrived, perhaps next time.

We're looking into it more now too
"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out" -- Alfred Hitchcock.
Voltarrens
Superhero

Postby Baden on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:35 am

Black House has just signed an agreement for our books to be available on iPad from August.
Baden
Superhero

Postby matt g on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:08 am

Woot! Well done Baden :)

*edit*
And if you can say, what format are you going with? Looking at the new iOS4 options, there's a couple of different dedicated comic reader apps / stores you can get your content into, there's the option of rolling your own app, or iBooks now offers dedicated pdf support.

Cheers,
mattg.
matt g
Super Genius

Postby HabbaChoobie on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:57 am

apparently, it may have just gotten easier - Lulu us now spruiking an iPad service, in which they say they convert books to "apple-approved-and-ready", with a deal struck with apple.

http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/?cid=us_home_nav_ebk

I do not know how it works, could not find info on their fora, but I'd love if someone else had a go and gave us all a run-through! (*hint, wink*).

Since DC and IMage are selling books on Lulu, I'm sure they will be selling iPad comics there soon too, so we'd all be in good company.

I've not used Lulu yet (I think KaBLam will be my choice for my first foray into Manga-sized comics, if comics monkey gets back up and running), but for a e-comic, this Lulu deal might be tempting due to the price breakdowns.

Assuming it's relatively "plug and play" and "drag and drop".
HabbaChoobie
Hero

Return to The Business