[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - web comics VS print comics, what does the future hold?

web comics VS print comics, what does the future hold?

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Postby thousanium on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:24 pm

egofreaky, i know exactly what you mean and i agree with you about the possibilities you mentioned (and more, click on the link i posted above) about infinite canvas and digital delivery. my objection was to your statement that with all these things implemented, would end print comics. you're assuming that a technological advance must destroy the technology preceding it. t.v did not destroy radio, but, it caused radio to stop producing serial narratives and focus on music. aucoustic guitars weren't replaced by electric guitars but music has been affected by electric guitars, print comics won't be replaced by digital comics, although that doesn't mean they won't be AFFECTED.

they're all just more tools in an artist's toolbox, and like every tool, you have to learn how to use them and you won't neccessarily use all of them for all jobs.

and you know what? i like the dimensions of the standard printed comic. i like the dimensions of a book like jimmy corrigan. i like the concept of the infinite canvas too. i don't see why i have to choose one over the other or why one will replace another OR more importantly, why i should have to choose to work in only print or digital and not both.
thousanium
Superhero

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:21 am

Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby practicecactus on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 am

|
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Michael The Janitor on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:24 pm

Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby thousanium on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:32 pm

thousanium
Superhero

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby The Ugly Soldier on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:56 pm

I go to three definate places every week: Drama, Karate, and Youth Group. To each I take my widdle bag which always holds my Karate belt (The smellier the better.), my Karate card, usually a cold botle of water from the fridge/freezer, maybe some change and some tissues, and a comic. I pick which one I want to take and pop it in. Sometimes X-Men, sometimes Flash, but I always try to pop one in. School aswell. Currently I am just carrying around my Phantom annual which will last me awhile, but I always like to have a comic to cheer me up or if I get bored (Like when I went to Karate and my Dad was late, I had a copy of Professor Xavier and the X-Men Issue 1 to read, and my Sensei saw it and started talking about comic with me.) nothing beets snuggling up in bed to a 30 page adventure or the next part of a Phantom story. Penny Arcade is good for a laugh sometimes.

I really love floppies, and trade paper backs are good aswell as they take longer to get through.

Webcomics really don't appeal to me too much, loading times, I only get one page a week or whatever, and I can only read them in front of a computer. CFCA's CDC is a nice idea, as it doesn't just come with a comic but with music and stuff too!

But sure, let there be both. Besides, if comics go completly online, we will just either have to pay for them or endure pop-ups, and we can always print them out, but it might not be the same.
The Ugly Soldier
Hero

Previous

Return to The Business