web comics VS print comics, what does the future hold?

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Postby thousanium on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:24 pm

egofreaky, i know exactly what you mean and i agree with you about the possibilities you mentioned (and more, click on the link i posted above) about infinite canvas and digital delivery. my objection was to your statement that with all these things implemented, would end print comics. you're assuming that a technological advance must destroy the technology preceding it. t.v did not destroy radio, but, it caused radio to stop producing serial narratives and focus on music. aucoustic guitars weren't replaced by electric guitars but music has been affected by electric guitars, print comics won't be replaced by digital comics, although that doesn't mean they won't be AFFECTED.

they're all just more tools in an artist's toolbox, and like every tool, you have to learn how to use them and you won't neccessarily use all of them for all jobs.

and you know what? i like the dimensions of the standard printed comic. i like the dimensions of a book like jimmy corrigan. i like the concept of the infinite canvas too. i don't see why i have to choose one over the other or why one will replace another OR more importantly, why i should have to choose to work in only print or digital and not both.
thousanium
Superhero

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:21 am

I don't think they MUST destroy the preceeding technology... That would be a spectacularly stupid thing to assert.
However, I think more and more people will eventually move over to the new format, leaving the old one in the dark. Using your analogy, of TV not usurping radio: When was the last time you heard a radio drama? Or some other voice acted show on radio? I mean a real one, not the ones that the shitty talk DJs do for 5 minutes a day as part of a bad comedy routine. Until podcasting , I can't actually remember any since 1992... TV had taken over that function.
So, taking that as the basis, I think as more and more people get mobile devices with media delivery capabilities, digital comics will slowly become more and more the thing, be they something like Platnium Grit, or something more along the lines of The Killer or similar animatics. This will also be sped along by the fact that people will pay less as they're no longer paying for physical production costs or middleman associated fees.
Of course, there will be exceptions... A lot of readers like the tactile sensation of the paper. Hey, I still like listening to The Goon Show, but I'm in the minority, and continuing to be so, as more people come across the material without the original 'casting media.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby practicecactus on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:00 am

I like `em both.
The average joe will look at web-comics, but the comic-book fan will pay for the paper funny books.
I prefer the actual book natch, it's like having vinyl records.
But, I don't think one will die and be the victor.
They're both gonna go off on their own paths, maybe something revolutionary will happen to one or both, and they'll have some cool new gimmick, but they'll both go on, like a cactus rant.

Now, About this rivalry between Self Publishers and web comic creators....
practicecactus
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Michael The Janitor on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:24 pm

I think that web comics are hard for dial up users.
Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby thousanium on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:32 pm

i already mentioned radio dramas (serial narratives) in an above post. and you did say that "webcomics would KILL print comics" in a previous post.

it is very possible the way we read ANYTHING in the very near future will changed, we're seeing it now with that sony thing "e-reader" i think it's called. and as that technology changes and becomes workable, and affordable the whole culture of not only comics, but every readable product will probably change.

if and when that happens, it will not be a case of digital comics forcing print comics out due to animation, sound, digital delivery, infinite canvas, but a case of EVERY print product becoming not as financially viable as digital AND the culture of reading changing. and even then, when our way of reading has changed, i still see print media being made, if for no other reason than to satisfy a very small hardcore market like vinyl.

regarding animatics (not really the correct use of the term), i personally hate "animation" in comics, not only am i more interested in using the static image to convey movement, and am on dialup, but almost all animation i have seen in comics suck. there are ways of doing limited animation that work well, FLCL is a good example of this (you can almost count the frames), ren and stimpy and other spumco shows are good as well. i know that those are animated shows, not comics, but if you are gonna use animation, learn to animate.
thousanium
Superhero

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Having re-read my previous post, I see you are correct about what I said, and apologise...
I meant to say will digital comics will commit near-genocide...
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby The Ugly Soldier on Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:56 pm

I go to three definate places every week: Drama, Karate, and Youth Group. To each I take my widdle bag which always holds my Karate belt (The smellier the better.), my Karate card, usually a cold botle of water from the fridge/freezer, maybe some change and some tissues, and a comic. I pick which one I want to take and pop it in. Sometimes X-Men, sometimes Flash, but I always try to pop one in. School aswell. Currently I am just carrying around my Phantom annual which will last me awhile, but I always like to have a comic to cheer me up or if I get bored (Like when I went to Karate and my Dad was late, I had a copy of Professor Xavier and the X-Men Issue 1 to read, and my Sensei saw it and started talking about comic with me.) nothing beets snuggling up in bed to a 30 page adventure or the next part of a Phantom story. Penny Arcade is good for a laugh sometimes.

I really love floppies, and trade paper backs are good aswell as they take longer to get through.

Webcomics really don't appeal to me too much, loading times, I only get one page a week or whatever, and I can only read them in front of a computer. CFCA's CDC is a nice idea, as it doesn't just come with a comic but with music and stuff too!

But sure, let there be both. Besides, if comics go completly online, we will just either have to pay for them or endure pop-ups, and we can always print them out, but it might not be the same.
The Ugly Soldier
Hero

Previous

Return to The Business