web comics VS print comics, what does the future hold?

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

Postby Michael The Janitor on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:53 pm

Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby makepeace on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:53 pm

a very good question. What are your thoughts on the matter Janitor?
makepeace
Science Hero

Postby Michael The Janitor on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:00 pm

I think web comics are easily distributed, but the problem is money...
and if they make money through advertising, I'm gonna be very unhappy when a hundred popups flood my screen.
Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby jacen_c on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:43 am

I might be a bit old fashioned here, but I like to be able to hold my comic and sit on the couch or lay on bed and read it. I love printed comics because you have something tangible and reading and enjoying it is not restricted to when and where you have access to a computer.

And while ads for Kool Aid (or milk or "verbs" nowdays) are sprinkled throughout the printed comics, they are far less annoying than pop-ups on a web site.
jacen_c
Galactic Superbeing

Postby Michael The Janitor on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 pm

no I'm not saying printed comics arn't good (they're great), I personally think the greatest way to get comics is a subsciption, they're for you can read em anywhere, but you don't have to drive to a comic book store (which is a long way for someone outside of the capital)
Michael The Janitor
Evil Genius

Postby Daren White on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Personally I spend enough time staring at a monitor to want to read comics on one as well. An ipod and new comic make a 20 minute bus ride a joy.
Daren White
Super Genius

Postby thousanium on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:37 pm

there's no good reason why there can't be both. i still buy cds and don't even consider buying mp3s or even downloading them via p2p sevices.

there are different types of digital comics, webcomics made for the net like penny arcade and pvp (both are now available in print) and downloadable comics, similar in role to mp3s, the digital version of the hard copies. as for pop-ups, this obivously won't be a problem in downloadable comics (or will they?) and as for webcomics, penny arcade's way of dealing with ads, is that they have enough clout to dictate which companies advertise on their site and only have two ad banners on the main page, sometime they're even drawn by the artist gabe. now, i know penny arcade and pvp are the minority and that most webcomics don't enjoy their financial successes, but PA and pvp do enjoy those successes for a simple reason: they make really good comics that a lot of people like enough to support them via buying their merchandise.

as for print comics, i don't read floppies anymore, since 2002, i don't collect any series except for hellboy trades. most american comics, both "mainstream" and "indy" don't interest me in the least. i still scan the racks when i go to the comic shop, but the general quality of comics are pretty disappointing. just before i stopped buying floppies i became aware of the increasing amount of ads in them and i hear that it's even worse now and i find them more annoying than popups since i can usually read through a webcomic before they pop up, but print ads disrupt the flow a little (or sometimes a lot).

like i said before, there are no good reasons why there can't be both printed and digital comics.
thousanium
Superhero

Postby Christian on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Carla Speed McNeil, who does a book called Finder, recently announced her intentions to drop doing monthly books altogether.

Her only print presence will be trades. They will have sketches, extra writings, perhaps short pieces, whatever.

I think that's a-- tremendous-- idea and it's certainly something I intend to be looking closely at, to see if it works for her. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Personally, I don't mind reading comics online. But I'm still waiting to see someone come up with a really exciting format.
Christian
Super Genius

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:29 am

The problem with most web comics is that they don't bother in the slightest to take advantage of the mediums that are available through the internet...
I think webcomics would KILL print comics if they took advantage of these things available to them. With the web, you're no longer restricted to a medium that's entirely static, and with the a page defining the area you use and the pacing. Some good examples of webcomics that actually take advantage of of the capabilities on the web are Trudy Cooper's Platinum Grit or The Killer.
There's also the ability to effecitvely distribute with no cost to anyone.
As for advertising, it can be done via subtle product placement.

Of course, the problem with all this is, as I said, most cartoonists on the web are far too lazy to do any of this... Instead, they just put up a regular comic page online... and then when it gets propular, print a book with 126 of them compiled.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby jpaulos on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:29 am

Producing an 126 page comic is lazy?
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby bluetoaster on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Most things displayed online tend to have the benefit of instant publishing - but suffer sometimes in the item not being thought out enough. (ie) : It's quick, & can be edited/updated. The 'quick' nature of it tends to make the medium disposable. An advanced distraction akin to to a 'cool' funny email someone sent you that you enjoy for a short time.

This leads to the comic itself beinng valued less.

A printed comic has to be carved out more precisely & more effort put in getting it out to consumers - thus it's worth being that much higher. (And not just in monetary terms)

I think a physical comic's value will always be more than a web comic's because of this factor.

Bobby.N

Last edited by bluetoaster on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Andy Finlayson on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:41 pm

Egofreaky wrote:I think webcomics would KILL print comics if they took advantage of these things available to them. With the web, you're no longer restricted to a medium that's entirely static,

Isn't that just called "animation"? :P (or at least an "animatic")
Andy Finlayson
Superhero

Postby thousanium on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:39 pm

well, webcomics are less than ten years old, so lets not expect too much from them yet.

print comics are just over 100 years old, around the same amount of time cinema has been around and yet cinema has evolved so much, in it's grammar, technique, presentation and content, while comics have evolved a little slower. only in the last 40 years have print comics started to stretch out content and format-wise.

as for taking advantage of the medium, what exactly are you refering to? sound? animation? hyperlinks? they've all been used before in webcomics. here's a link to the artistic history of webcomics http://webcomicsreview.com/?p=91

will these things help webcomics destroy print comics? no. why would they? t.v is more techically advanced than novels, but i still read a lot more than i watch t.v. it's got sound and moving pictures, but so what? you're probably thinking "books and t.v are two different mediums". you're right. and so are print comics and webcomics, if they choose to be.

and just because you have the ability to add sound and animation doesn't mean you should. you have to do what's right for the story and in most webcomics i've read, they aren't justified.
thousanium
Superhero

Postby Egofreaky on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 pm

Andy & thousanium: Ok, I get your points, so let's strip webcomics of the animation and sound capabilities, and restrict them to entirely what can be produced on paper... just the image.
Well, Webcomics still have the advantage because, even with just the image, on the web and artist can choose to deliver the comic panels however they like. I still think Platinum Grit is the best example of this. I've got a fairly complete collection of it, and I think Trudy's used web delivery to give the story much more effect
In my opinion it's because she's chosen EXACTLY how the story is paced and prevented me from reading it at MY pace. She's chosen how the panels are delivered to me... sometimes it's 1 panel at a time, sometimes it's 3, and sometimes they're in different places in regards to where my eyes were looking last and will continue to look to next. This is in contrast to paper, where your stuck to the exact space and the audience's reading direction. Considering the size of the page (and economic constraints) you HAVE to have a certain number of panels to fill that space, which in turn removes the ability to display the panels in such a way that would allow the author to show them at that kind of rate.

Grab a copy of Platinum Grit in print, then read the online one. You'll see what I mean.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby bluetoaster on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:12 am

Egofreaky wrote:In my opinion it's because she's chosen EXACTLY how the story is paced and prevented me from reading it at MY pace. She's chosen how the panels are delivered to me... sometimes it's 1 panel at a time, sometimes it's 3, and sometimes they're in different places in regards to where my eyes were looking last and will continue to look to next. This is in contrast to paper, where your stuck to the exact space and the audience's reading direction. Considering the size of the page (and economic constraints) you HAVE to have a certain number of panels to fill that space, which in turn removes the ability to display the panels in such a way that would allow the author to show them at that kind of rate.

Grab a copy of Platinum Grit in print, then read the online one. You'll see what I mean.

You still have constraints. (ie: The Computer screen, technology, etc) . There may be fun in being able to redefine the base parameters that comics generally have (like the page size/shape) - but I think that it's just playing with semantics.

I think the point to any good comic, is it's ability to convey the intended point within it's limitations. What one can do on a standard paper-comic page is infinite. It's just a matter of finding a way to represent it. (eg: Speech = text in word balloons).

Bobby.N

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Next

Return to The Business