support an Australian based Comic magazine

Working for yourself or for a publisher, chat about the business side here.

support an Australian based Comic magazine

Postby davidjcunning on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm thinking of putting together a black and white magazine (around 40 to 50 pages)containing comics, short stories, reviews, interviews and artwork from local artists (Local as in Australia).

But before i take the plunge i need to know whether or not i will have the support of the local Australian comic community. This includes both readers and creators alike. I am looking at writing and drawing a few of my own comics to put into it but the main emphasis of the magazine is to promote up and coming creators and help to boost the comic industry in Australia.

More to the point - is there anyone out there who would readily submit work. My aim is to distribute the magazine Australia wide.

Please contact me with any comments, queries or suggestions.

Thanks

Dave Cunning.
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby azahru on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:45 am

Are you thinking something like OzComics (currently on hiatus for an unknown period)? http://www.phasetwocomics.com/catalog/i ... d93d02d992
Or something different?
azahru
Science Hero

Postby davidjcunning on Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:02 pm

azahru wrote:Are you thinking something like OzComics (currently on hiatus for an unknown period)? Or something different?

Basically yes, but i would like to be putting out issues bi-monthly. From what i can see OzComics seems to have a fairly japanese style orientation (please correct me if i am wrong) whereas i would like to offer readers everything from 3 panel strips to ongoing stories any style - anything goes action, comedy horror whatever, as well as offering space for writers to submit stories and also a section for illustrators seeking writers and vice versa.

Its still at the concept phase.
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Postby azahru on Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:24 pm

Ozcomics did a range of styles (although one issue was anime themed). I did more in the way of previews rather than stories. It sounds like it might be more general.

There was something I was noodling away at for Ozcomics, basicly a market guide of non-standard places to get published. So depending on what's happening I might have something or at least some data.

I'm curious to know what you background is or what other projects you've worked on. You don't show up on google and you don't have a website link, so tell us a bit about yerself. I know I feel more comfortable contributing to something if I can get a bit of a feel for a person and/or their work first.
azahru
Science Hero

Postby Anomic on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:11 pm

"I trust like a gun that???s fully loaded?? "
Action reveals character
Anomic
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Egofreaky on Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:43 pm

Well, it sounds like a good plan (everything does afterall).

I'd like to know more about what it is you're intending on doing.
My big question is is this magazine self funded, or a commercial enterprise where it's paying for itself through advertising and sales are the profit?
They lend an entirely different feel to content of the magazine afterall.

And are you just wanting to do a pulpy kinda thing, where people can pick it up from a newsagent stand in whatever suburb for $5.95 (or however much), or is this going to be a comic shop only kind of deal? What sort of distribution are you looking at? That's also going to affect what kind of magazine you're trying to put together, and whether it's advertising or sales revenue based.

I think it's a great idea, and I'd love to support it. If you get it off the ground, hell, I'll throw in dirt cheap ads in OzTAKU for you, like I do for everyone around here. I think a lot of people here, however, would like to know a LOT more of the details before signing themselves up though, as these kind of things come up on a regular basis, and few of them get off of the ground.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby davidjcunning on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:24 am

Thanks to all those who have replied!

Firstly a bit about myself:

I currently work as an illustrator for a technical writing company which distributes Australia wide as well as to some overseas countries. It is my job to set page layouts, draw all artwork for safety books, safety posters, design all advertising materials and soon to be new web site.
I have a degree in psychology and I am currently doing a course in freelance cartooning and illustration.
I function primarily as an artist but i am trying to write my own projects and as i'm new to the industry i'm still trying to feel my way along.
I intend to launch myself (along with anyone else who's up for the ride) with the magazine contributing a lot of my own artwork to get it off the ground - i want people to know that i am legitimate in my intentions.
I am setting up a website for my artwork etc at the moment and i will post the address when its good to go.
As for the magazine itself - i am aiming predominantly at comic shops, however a wider distribution is always favourable.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Dave.
davidjcunning
Super Genius

Return to The Business