Australian Artists & Writers you like

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Australian Artists & Writers you like

Postby Lee Gracie on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:36 pm

Many of you have your favours. I would like to know, and I'm sure some of the others on here would like to know as well.
What are you favours Australian artists & writers.
Tell us why you like them and what books there have done.
If there only did mini comics, that ok.
And the artists and writers can be someone who just live in Australia.
Fear what you can't understand and hate what you can't conquer, bitch!
Lee Gracie
Super Genius

Postby antains on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:22 pm

For me, it's Matt Zurbo.
Author of "Idiot Pride," "Flyboy and The Invisible" and "Hot Nights and Cool Dragons."
He's also the author of illustrated children's book "I got a rocket in my pocket."
He didn't illustrate it, but he is an illustrator, as well and I love his work.
I do know him, so I'm biased, but he's got an awesome comic collection and introduced me to "Flaming Carrot." OMG, I love that comic - not Australian, I know.
Anyway, that's my 2 brass razoos.
I shouldn't be here.
antains
Evil Genius

Postby apple head on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:08 pm

I forgot the artist as I never found his comics to purchase, but read other peoples copies. Anyway his style was so cool, and funny to read. It was 'Rabbit'. Anybody remember. It was a mini from the platinum grit days.

I also liked Zeldz's stuff. Pepe is one of the best looking comics I've seen come out of Australia. I should message him to see what he's up to these days.

Anyways it was those comics that make me want to ditch expensive printing to go mini. They proove making quality comics is not about the print stock. Good art really can make you forget you read a photocopy comic.

Nobody ever talks about it, but I seriously thought Daniel McKeown The last sane cow in England was one of the cleverest comics at the time.

I thought Platinum was a very tight looking comic, but Chris Wall's current stuff seriously places my jaw firmly on the floor.

I have also made some friends at Disney, who's work I would love to see in comics. Some still live in Australia. Actually I'm always amazed of how many talented poeple worked there, and really slaps reality to one's face.

Jon Sommariva is a very modest person, but how fuckin' good his art these days? It always was though.
apple head
Super Genius

Re: Australian Artists & Writers you like

Postby AndreiB on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am

Justin Randall's art is universally recognised as way too flippin’ good.
Everyone loves Shaun Tan so I shouldn’t even mention his name here. It’s a given.
I admire what Linda Foote is doing merging eastern and western influences while having very slick, casual but not contrived written conversation.
I love Caanan Grall’s ability to draw combat and strong females. And use of puns.
Sarah Ellerton’s magical scenery and far-too-beautiful characters make her one of the country’s yet undiscovered greats.
Luke Milton and Ben Hutchings are tied as the funniest comic writers in Australia today, IMHO.
Bobby Nenadovic has the most fluid, hard to pin down and yet instantly recognisable style I’ve seen.

I’m sure there’s plenty of talent on the east coast that I’m not even aware of yet, but that’s currently the Aussie list I’d give people to make them excited about this country’s comic future. Now if only these people did their thing fulltime.
Writer and illustrator of Dead by Thirty.
AndreiB
Superhero

Re: Australian Artists & Writers you like

Postby Richard Rae on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:37 am

The great Hal English and Stanley Pitt.
Richard Rae
Sidekick

Return to Who you love