Mort Meskin

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Mort Meskin

Postby jpaulos on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:43 am

Just found this great site on 50's artist Mort Meskin ... check out his Mystery comics for DC in the 50's for some great old school art!

http://www.meskin.net/

Enjoy!
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby maggie on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:05 pm

Awesome! I've been digging through the site and I'm totally loving this guy. Like one of the quotes said, I can't believe he didn't get more recognition. But, since we humans are fickle and tend to think/consider/study much like water moves (we'll flow where it's easiest and let gravity do the real work), I imagine it has a lot to do with the titles he worked on. Most of his more well-known contemporaries ended up gaining notoriety by working the Superman/Batman/Captain America/Spiderman circuit. And while many of us know and love the 'House of Mystery'/'House of Secrets' genre, it's rare we 'star-ify' anyone from that scene (with the exception of drop-jaw geniuses like Wood and Wrightson - and, in all fairness, they did stints with the super circuit too).

Awesome link, Jason. Thanks so much for posting it. At first I felt bad because I was supposed to be working (inking), not goofing off, and now I just feel raring to get back to at it after seeing some of Meskin's pen and brush work.
About Me
"Of all lies, art is the least untrue." - Flaubert
maggie
Robot Overlord!

oldies

Postby jpaulos on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:28 pm

Glad you're digging this guy's stuff as much as I am, Maggie. I came across this via a 'neglected artists' thread on the sketchbook sessions forum. You also might want to check out Jesse Marsh's stuff

http://home.inreach.com/emmaus/Marsh-Site.html

While not as flashy as Meskin, he had a Toth-esque simplicity that is addictive to the sensibilities if you're into solid storytelling and black shadows. I should probably get back to work as well ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Who you love