"looking for free art"

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Postby Cybermotron on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 am

Well, that was one hell of a hijack there. Sorry Andy, I think you bring up some great points, as does everyone else...

Now...Hell yeah Maggie, I'd certainly be down for that! I think it would be great for Aussies have a place to be able to discuss the rigours of shooting in our own country and have a place to Network. It wouldn't mean I'd be hanging around here less or any of us would. Comics will always have their place...I can't believe I'm saying this...the moving pictures aren't going to kill the still ones.

To answer your question about people who want to be filmmakers. Well, that's easy, nearly everyone I know, to various degrees of seriousness as I'm discovering more and more as this thing goes along. People I thought I knew are suddenly turning out to be budding film makers, with connections here there and everywhere.
My 24 hour comic from this year which I'm still finishing....
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic ... 1956#31956

And the one from last year which I did finish...
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?t=1895
Cybermotron
Super Genius

Postby apple head on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:48 am

I find so far that as long as you make a film with a smile, finding an actor is not that hard. Finding crew on the other hand. I have before, but I think I lucked out more then actually finding a method.

Maybe I think because it's an easier sell when you tell someone that they are a star. It's harder if you need someone to hold a Boom mike, or even DOP. Unless you find a Camera geek. I have two friends Helping out on a feature called $9.99. It's a $3million dollar movie and they still have voulanteers working on it.

Most film people I know (Most are hobbyist) aren't really message board sluts like me. Maggie, if you're short on people PM me I might know people that can help. Depending what it is though. I only know 3 fluffers ;) I'm just kidding.... 25
apple head
Super Genius

Postby Cybermotron on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:13 pm

I think attracting people to your project is mainly to do with how much fun it sounds like to do. But different movies are appealling to different people. For instance I've written a lot of Clerks style comedies, and none of them ever got made, because although I could attract actors, getting a crew together to take it seriously...these talking heads style comedies, well thats how they saw it anyway...was hard. And besides it takes good actors to do comedy...really good actors. I didn't make them because I didn't have faith in the people I had assembled or the people I could get to do them. Crew wise I just couldn't generate the excitement, they all meant night shoots, and were going to be logistically too complicated for them to justify for what were basically dialogue driven comedies. All these different crew people were trying to get me to rewrite it into something else entirely just to make it easier for them...so I pulled the plug.

So now I've gone the other way, I'm making a gory action movie. Now although I thought my previous comedy scripts, had really good stories, this one is cheesy and stupid at best, but everyone really wants to be a part of the crew for this one, and no one really wanted to be a part of those, regardless of whether they found them funny or not. I guess it also helps that I know a lot of sword fighters. But still those that aren't are just really excited about doing a gory action movie, (probably, because of the sword fighters) regardless of the part they will play, or that it will mean weeks of night shoots and will be extremely logistically complicated to film. From the time I first mentioned the idea, I've had to work doubly hard, to keep up with the excitement of everyone else so that it keeps momentum and doesn't just fizzle out, which is always a danger when no ones getting payed.

Its all a stepping stone though, this isn't a feature, its a short feature and will probably struggle to make it to the hour mark. Hard to market I know, but its more intended as a showcase so I might be able to attract funding to my more ambitious comedy action horror feature script. I guess there in lies the insentive for everyone, a chance to eventually one with funding, and I guess they trust that I'll do a good job, or at least they're happy to give me the benefit of the doubt.

How ever it turns out though, this is really going to be an adventure and I'll finally be able to justify that film making course I did all those years ago.
My 24 hour comic from this year which I'm still finishing....
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic ... 1956#31956

And the one from last year which I did finish...
http://forums.pulpfaction.net/viewtopic.php?t=1895
Cybermotron
Super Genius

Postby mark selan on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:17 pm

I lost the film making bug when i discovered how political it was and expensive (though this was before digital editing and cameras became the norm); now i think its too easy and there's a lot of crap to wade thru to find good stuff.

but the real point of this post is I'm guessing the Producer wanted to pay for a stunt director because it removes the liability of any accidents happening to talent from them and onto the Stunt Director (especially if the SD is qualified).
mark selan
Science Hero

Postby apple head on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:52 pm

mark selan wrote:I lost the film making bug when i discovered how political it was and expensive (though this was before digital editing and cameras became the norm); now i think its too easy and there's a lot of crap to wade thru to find good stuff.

but the real point of this post is I'm guessing the Producer wanted to pay for a stunt director because it removes the liability of any accidents happening to talent from them and onto the Stunt Director (especially if the SD is qualified).

Actually because the director was financing, it was his Idea. The producer was against it. Especially after we saw what they did. Although I must stress we did work with kids, so I do understand the concern. BUT there were around 30 kids, and hardly anybody was paying attention to all the stupid and dangerous things they were doing outside. My favourite one was, where a kid on a Bike was held by a kid on skateboard and launching himself basically towards a brick wall.

It makes the stunt of falling backwards onto a matresse seem kinda redundant when it comes to safety concern, and seeing as I allways have to hear, that there's no money, that 600 bucks could have been spent elsewhere.

The film is looking real nice though, and the set was fun to be on too. The kids were very funny, but their parents would be shocked. I personally find it funny when a 12 year old accuses his friend of 'Smocking Cock'.

I have walked out of sets where the Lighting person tried to direct. There's also many politics in other entertainment industries, or for that matter, I have yet to hear about an office with no politics, my best friend and ex girlfriend work at Citybank, and I crash their corporate events on many occasions. It's all a bloody schoolyard.

I think no matter what you do in no matter what country there'll allways be dickheads. Try to tell me there isn't any of it in comics :p just try.... it's a dare ;)

What kind of Crew do you need for a 'Clerks' type movie? We're shooting one. We have a Boom mike person, The director is also DOP, Lighting we have one guy working out set up, runner and Clapper. On my film I didn't DOP and we also had make-up. I did sets, and the producer did continuety, with my AD who also did a shot list based on my boards and calculated camera set ups.

On this feature I'm producing, we're having musicians putting in 2 cents about green room set-up and lending in some instruments and sets, and we pretty much are finalizing our 9 cast members. So far it's running smoothly, if nobody acts up or is beeing a dickhead it should be a very easy shoot. Although a feature we can shoot this in the same time as 20bucks, with a quater of the set up, mainly because it's all blah blah and yakkity yakkity. And I didn't have any real problems on set with that anal probe film :)
apple head
Super Genius

Postby bluetoaster on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:15 am

"Would you offer a neurosurgeon the “opportunity” to add your name to his resume as payment for removing that pesky tumor? (Maybe you could offer him “a few bucks” for “materials”. What a deal!)

Would you be able to seriously even CONSIDER offering your web hosting service the chance to have people see their work, by viewing your website, as their payment for hosting you?

If you answered “yes” to ANY of the above, you’re obviously insane. If you answered “no”, then kudos to you for living in the real world."

Though I'm a comic-creator myself (and am passionate about my work) - I'd have to say that trying to correlate a 'neurosurgeon' or 'mechanic' (which are at the centre of what society needs to 'function') - to our respective 'ARTS' - is an exaggeration.

Society needs neurosurgeon's alot more than comicbook artists.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't get paid for their art if they can - but we can't expect 'recreational art' to be on the same 'valued' level as a neurosurgeon.

Heck, the 'value' of Justin Timberlake irritates me in comparrison to the fine comics I read - but it has more to do with the tastes of those 'buying', than with the worth of your craft.

Remember, there is no 'real' value.
Only 'percieved' value.

And right now, Justin Timberlake is economically valued A LOT more than any great piece of art.

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby Andy Finlayson on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:51 am

Not sure I agree with you on those values you've attributed to those other careers, (humanity survived several million years without mechanics or neurosurgeons), but whatever, I guess the guy who wrote it should have picked equally "worthless" jobs to compare...
You could play his game with hairdressers, real estate agents, fast food workers... it goes on and on. But the same thing would happen in a real estate agency as down at the local brain-surgeon's I'm guessing-- kindly asked to leave!

And as to JT... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA
Andy Finlayson
Superhero

Postby Daren White on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:04 pm

When people realise I'm a Chartered Accountant I usually get asked a tax question or two. I've had many occassions where someone wants extensive advise on some comlex tax problem they got themselves into, when all I really wanted was another beer.

People always want something for free. Me included.
Daren White
Super Genius

Previous

Return to Who you love