Reading vs. Collecting re: Comic book the movie

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Reading vs. Collecting re: Comic book the movie

Postby nonefornic on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 pm

I absolutely love Ghost Rider: 2099. So when some issues I got off E-bay arrived today with a price tags on the cover and one cover majourly ripped, I didn't really care. The pages inside were mint- and so I just read and enjoye the narrative. However, as I looked over the bagged portions of my collection I got to thinking about Comic Book The Movie- particularly the part where Kevin Smith says he doesn't collect comics- he just reads and enjoys them.

I found it odd that I'd happily speant more on what is- not being blind -an average 90's comic recycling Gibson's ideals from the 80's and Stan Lee's from the dawn of Marvel than I did frantically collecting those first-printing single issues of Hush...

I'm just curious (as most academics are) if this is a unique phenomina in my skull or if anyone else feels the same...
I picked her up in texas, I dropped her off in peices.
nonefornic
Hero

Postby Christian on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:08 am

I used to fancy the collecting side of comics. Arranging my comics alphabetically and like that. But I have a bit of a thing for organising my books, CDs, whatever. But that was a visceral pleasure, always a distant second to reading. I daresay most people who read comics post-Crash are those who like to read.

These days, I only buy trades so issues of collectability are all over for me.
Christian
Super Genius

Postby nonefornic on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:51 am

I don't know about you, but I'm also finding more and more that its about name and not content. For instance the old joke that Alex Ross could illustrate a Howard The Duck/Witchblade: XXX extravaganza by Stan Lee entirely in crayon and it would still sell.
nonefornic
Hero

Postby nonefornic on Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:52 am

I don't know about you, but I'm also finding more and more that its about name and not content. For instance the old joke that Alex Ross could illustrate a Howard The Duck/Witchblade: XXX extravaganza by Stan Lee entirely in crayon and it would still sell.
nonefornic
Hero

Postby Timothy Raven on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:19 am

I don't know if it's more about name than it used to be, but then I'm not as exposed to it as I used to be either. I was working in a comic shop around the time Image Comics formed. I watched the superficial frenzy of buying, selling, trading, false collectability, on a daily basis (well... 5 days a week...), real vomit-inducing stuff.

As to your original question, I collect comics but 'am not a "collector" (as above). I don't bag and board my comics, I do box them but that's just a handy way to store them. I've been reading Marvel Comics' Daredevil on and off since I was 6 (1980). I collect it purely because I enjoy the character and the stories.

As long as the comics/magazines/books/etc I buy are in reasonable condition I'm not fussed about small imperfections, such as price tags, bends, small tears... indeed, the comics I used to get from the newsagents in the 80's and 90's often had the Australian price written on them with a pen. As an example, I used to read the Transformers comic from England in the mid-late 80's. Some of them have the newsagents price sticker on them (Croydon Market Newsagent) while some have the price written on with blue pen ($1.30). The same with old issues of Uncanny X-Men, etc...
Timothy Raven
Superhero

Postby bluetoaster on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:43 pm

This article on 'The Comics Journal' discusses 'how' the collectors section of comics skews the market.
http://tcj.com/journalista/zarch200211Ba.html

Interesting read.
bluetoaster
Master of Time

Return to Who you love