Favourite comic writers?

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Favourite comic writers?

Postby CameronB on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 am

Ok, this is my first 'real' thread here, I thought I'd start off with something very important to me: writers.
So, I put it to all of you: Who are your favourite writers and why?
It wouldn't be fair for me to ask without posting my answer, so here goes...

Neil Gaiman tops off my list. I discovered The Sandman last year, and actually shelled out for all the trades, not to mention most of his other comics work, and my fair share of his novels and short stories. Gaiman has this ability to create entire worlds, outstanding characters and fantastic stories. His writing ability is second to none in the comics world and, especially in The Sandman, separates his work from everything else published in the 80's and 90's. I'm not bringing down the artists, some of the people Gaiman has worked with (including his long-standing partnership with Dave McKean, who did all the cover art for The Sandman) are brilliant, and each contributed their own part to the worlds of Gaiman's imagination.

Next up is Ed Brubaker. I am a huge Captain America fan (weird, considering I'm Australian), and Brubaker's run has been the best I have seen. He managed to commit a cardinal sin in comics, reviving Bucky Barnes, and got away with it. He killed a 60+ year old comics icon and raised someone else to take his place seamlessly. He captured Steve Rogers perfectly, while writers all around him (Mark Millar included) were making him a parody of what he represents, and bringing his philosophy into question. He has turned James Buchanan Barnes into a three-dimensional character, and probably one of the most compelling characters in mainstream comics in years. Most importantly, regardless of Barnes' doubts about his own faults and past, Brubaker makes us believe that Bucky can fill Cap's shoes.

And finally, before this becomes a huge list, Brian K Vaughan. My bookshelves are adorned with the full set of Y: The Last Man trades, BKV's entire run on Runaways, the first three Ex Machina trades and Pride of Baghdad. Only Gaiman matches him in my collection for sheer quantity. I first discovered BKV in Runaways. From the first moment I picked it up, I was enthralled. In a Marvel Universe where all the young characters had been that way for decades, and even the new characters were the same-old same-old, here were a team of teenagers who had no connections to the rest of the Marvel Universe (unlike the also-amazing Young Avengers), who were compelling and most importantly, something NEW! It was a breath of fresh air, and I quickly made it my business to buy them all. But I couldn't stop there, I had to have more. While in my local Borders, I noticed they stocked Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina, and couldn't help but buy the first three of each. Y caught my attention immediately; Yorick was around my age, a slacker, a bit of a literary nerd and had a freakin' MONKEY! And the monkey's name was AMPERSAND! Yorick managed to be sympathetic and relateable, whilst being completely awesome at the same time. That's good writing.

This list could go on forever and ever. Honourable mentions to Bill Willingham, because Fables has the most imaginative concept I have ever seen, and his characters and stories are great; Stan Lee, because he's the father of pretty much every other character I have ever loved, and probably the most influential writer in the history of the medium; And Frank Miller and Alan Moore, for creating some of the most compelling reads of the Iron Age.

I went on for a bit there, sorry about that. Now it's your turn.
CameronB
Citizen

Re: Favourite comic writers?

Postby John Retallick on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:10 am

For me, a few off the top of my head that i've been flicking through recently

Eddie Campbell - the years have pants
Marjane Satrapi - chicken with plums
Chris Ware - Acme novelty library vol 18-19
David B - Epileptic
Kevin Huizenga - Curses and Glenn Ganges series
Joe Sacco - Palestine, The Fixer
Lynda Barry - What it is
Alan Moore - though his wordiness bothers me at times i still return to From Hell, the killing joke and Small Killings.
Bendis - when he's doing Powers
Jeff Lemire - essex county

Also check out Aust work including
Bruce Mutard - The Silence
Skye Ogden - Vowels
Shaun Tan - The lost thing, the arrival
Bobby N - Withheld

Going to stop before i just end up listing all i've got on my shelf.

Various writers for various tones it seems and most are writer artists.

I find it hard to single out writers specifically as i don't know where in collaborations the writer and artist lines cross. A silent beat that rings true might be what the writer insists on for pacing and emotional tone from the very get go or something an artist created so that the story flowed on the page. Who knows in such situations?

Never liked Sandman much myself. Not a huge fan of fantasy. dipped into smaller moments of it and enjoyed it at the time. seems pretty dated to me now. I love Mr Punch tho - prob my favourite of his.

BKV with Y and Ex Mach - good rollicking pulp tales and i'veheard very good things about Pride of Baghdad.

Brubaker - got some of his very early pre tights and flights work i like and his bat related stuff good when he worked on developing the characters of the GCPD.

Cheers

J
TheComicSpot on 3CR
Australian Comics and Culture.
5.00 PM - fortnightly
855am in Melb / live on 3CR.ORG.AU

http://www.thecomicspot.blogspot.com - for the blog
http://www.thecomicspot.podomatic.com - to download eps
John Retallick
Superhero

Postby Tom on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:51 am

I'm not sure if it's because I'm an artist/writer but I find it very hard to separate the 2. I find a comic script to be similar to a film script or play, in that it may be a good script but it depends so heavily on the way it gets to the page. Artists can make or break a script. An artist has to be able to tell a story too, it doesn't matter how well they can draw.
This leads me to say that most of my favourite comics are from good teams (but mostly one off strokes of genius). I don't think I can appreciate a writer if I don't like the art. You'll find recurring writers and artists in my collection but generally there is no one who's work I have to have.
Sorry this is a bit of a sullen post :'(

Anyway, some writers I have enjoyed.

Alan Moore in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Mainly for his interpretation of Hyde)
Dave Sim in the first Cerebus
Serge Letendre In The Quest of the Bird of Time
Bendis in Alias
Tom
Science Hero

Postby CameronB on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I've heard very good things about Bendis' work in both Powers and Alias, I might have to pick both up some time soon.
CameronB
Citizen

Postby EdSta on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Time to wake this thread up!

Ok, so there are a great many comic writers whose work I admire... and a great many more whose work I haven't read but need to check out!

The following people are those who are definitely a huge inspiration for me, and whose work I will always take a look at. I've included the particular books of theirs that make me list them as favourites:

Ed Brubaker - Sleeper, Criminal, Captain America, Incognito, Gotham Central
Greg Rucka - Queen + Country, Whiteout, Gotham Central
Jason Aaron - Scalped, Wolverine: Weapon X
Mike Carey - The Unwritten, X-Men: Legacy
Grant Morrison - New X-Men, All Star Superman, Marvel Boy
Warren Ellis - Global Frequency, Excalibur
Joss Whedon - purely because of Astonishing X-Men

The next few I have only read 1 or 2 works of and am keen to get into more of their stuff:

Brian Azzarello - 100 Bullets (favourite series ever tied with Sleeper)
Joshua Dysart - Unknown Soldier
Matt Fraction - Invincible Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men (had one of the best X-Men stories I've read in a long time), Casanova
Joe Kelly - I Kill Giants
Alan Moore - Watchmen (Of course! And I can't believe I haven't read anything else by him)
EdSta

Postby Ian T on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 am

Tom wrote:Dave Sim in the first Cerebus
Serge Letendre In The Quest of the Bird of Time

Tom, I agree on both! I'm stoked to see that second one mentioned - the first of the four Roxanna books is a bit haphazard, but the series gathers steam and the last two are knockouts - what an ending!

Cheers,

Ian T.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby Tom on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm sorry Ian, are the Roxanna stories you're referring to in Cerebus or The Quest of the Bird of Time? because TQBT only has 4 books. It's been quite a while since I read Cerebus so I'm a bit fuzzy there.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby jpaulos on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:11 am

Bruce Jones (Creepy, Alien Worlds, etc ...)
Pat Mills (Nemesis, etc ..)
Joe Gill (Charlton comics ...)
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Tom on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:54 pm

Pat Mills, of course! Nemesis, ABC warriors and Slaine are my favourite 2000AD story lines.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby jpaulos on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:57 pm

I'll add Nicola Cuti (also Charlton) to the list as well ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby JasonFranks on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Garth Ennis yet.

Garth loves 'strong material' and is often dismissed because he likes to shock, but, regardless of whether or not his work is to your taste, he is one of the most skilled writers in the business. He has an ear for dialect second to none, his work is drumtight, and his comic timing is beyond reproach. What's more, he writes real characters and he never cops out on when it comes to testing them. Despite Ennis' reputation for gratuitous violence, he demonstrates a strong sense of morality and he is completely unafraid to demonstrate it.

Lastly, he's consistent. Even when he's phoning a story in, there's never any fat and the gags all zing.

Go read PREACHER if you haven't, or his WAR STORIES, or CROSSED. Or his HELLBLAZER run.

-- JF
JasonFranks
Super Genius

Postby NightKnight on Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Fot me the top 3 rating is the following...
1) Alan Moore
2) Stan Lee
3) Grant Morrison
NightKnight

Postby heavenponting on Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 am

I like to read comics and they give me a fun and enjoyment. Some comic writers are really a great and their imagination is awesome. My favourite comic writers are below :

* Alan Moore
* Grant Morrison
* Mark Waid
* Brian Wood
* Steve Gerber
heavenponting
Citizen

Postby gursikh11 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Steve Englehart, Warren Ellis and Peter David are my favorite comic writers. Marv Wolfman's Tomb of Dracula is my favorite comic book.
Love to read books such as Comic,Novels & Religious Books
gursikh11
Citizen

Return to Who you love