Trigan Empire / Look and Learn

Writers and Artists who excite you. See who influences your fellow fans and creators.

Re: Thanks

Postby The Intruder on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:55 pm

jpaulos wrote:Damn, that's a lot of money ... I'll pass and settle for a look at Trudy's book if she ever gets it back ...

I'll harass him and snaffle it back when I next visit Vegas. He can't complain, his kids have done pretty well off me for pop culture - I'll just sweeten the deal with something else.

Those really are painfully expensive.
Trudy Cooper.
The Intruder
Superhero

Postby dillon on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:39 pm

and of course, if you had that much money to burn, why not also buy an original TRIGAN EMPIRE page! (3 images down)

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home ... t_308.html
dillon
Super Genius

Re: ...

Postby The Intruder on Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:04 am

Aaaahh! Cheers for that link, Dillon. I'm bookmarking this anyhoo.....*kicks chair*

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home ... ce_64.html

The one I have is there - black cover the four little portraits down the bottom of the cover, blue spaceship retailing for 75 pounds. That's my baby. All musty and loved.
Trudy Cooper.
The Intruder
Superhero

Postby dillon on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:48 am

mmm. my high school library had that exact book, which i read a million times. now that i see how much it's worth, i'm thinking how i could slip back in there somehow and nick it.
dillon
Super Genius

Milhouse

Postby jpaulos on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:10 am

This thread reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart & Milhouse buy Radioactive Man #1 ...
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Trigan Empire / Look and Learn

Postby Captain Australia on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Guys

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a new member exploring this site.

As I'm from the UK, and old enough to remember Look & Learn, I thought I'd chime-in with a post . . .

During the 1960s (my era of nostalgia) I was heavily into the Marvel superhero comics.

My dad, wanting me to read something a little more 'educational' (to his way of thinking) started a weekly subscription for me at the local newsagents for Look & Learn (in the hope I'd move towards something a little more 'literate').

The magazine was heavy on illustrated text stories (with a heavy emphasis on educating its readership), but also featured a handful of comic-strips - the most famous of which was Don Lawrence's Trigan Empire strip (which had debuted in another short-lived magazine called Ranger).

Although dad's intentions were good, I skipped most of the text stories and jumped straight into the Lawrence Trigan Empire strips - which were great adventure stories, superbly illustrated with painted artwork. I continued with my regular fix of Marvel comics, so nothing really changed . . .

I currently own a few original artworks that saw print in Look & Learn (including a Trigan Empire), so here are a few links people here might want to view:

Trigan Empire by Don Lawrence ('Red Weed' story)

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Cate ... -Lowry.jpg

Look & Learn cover by Patrick Nichole

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Cate ... forweb.jpg

The Comic Art Fans site (which hosts my contributions) is a terrific resource for exploring the original comic-book artwork collections of enthusiasts dotted around the globe.

A simple web-search for 'Comic Art Fans' should channel you in the right direction.

Enjoy!
Captain Australia
Citizen

Postby maggie on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:25 am

maggie
Robot Overlord!

Postby rowster on Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Yeah I have a box full of Look and Learn mags each with the Trigan Empire comic series and I cant bring myself to throw them out. They were addictive reads and must be worth something hey? My olds got us the mags from 26/6/76 up to 16/9/78 thats over two years and there is only one missing in my collection!
rowster

Previous

Return to Who you love