[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead

DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, etc. - News, gossip or hearsay about the major publishers.

The Walking Dead

Postby Tom on Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 pm

I just bought and read The Walking Dead Compendium (volumes 1-8) and by golly what a ride. Not very pleasant one though. Shit! I've never read a comic that got me so involved with the characters or made me flinch, feel so depressed or make me think just how fucked up the human race can be. I'm not sure I want to go on reading.
While being one of the best comics I've ever read the amount text can be a bit too much but that of course is where its strength lies. Tony Moore's art (which I don't think suits the story) is great, and dare I say it, morish while Charlie Adlard's work suits the story perfectly but looks rushed and doesn't really have any of those "man, that's the best picture I've ever seen!" moments.
To any one who hasn't read it I say "READ IT!!!" Anyone who has, any thoughts?
Tom
Science Hero

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby Baden on Wed May 05, 2010 10:10 am

It was reading WD that made me decide to set up Black House actually, I liked it so much.

I like the heavy text - but I tend to place more emphasis on the writing than the art in a comic.

It's very much based in reality and only once have they succumbed to apocalyptic cliche (hello Governor storyline). That is apart from a couple of obvious nods to other sources (like Rick spending the initial days of the outbreak in a coma - no spoilers there as that's page one).

You're right it in that is is difficult to keep reading. Kirkman is not afraid to kill people you love and destroy the ones he leaves alive. He will kill his babies, and yours too, just for fun. It makes it all very much a journey that's worth going on.
Baden
Superhero

Postby Lucid on Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am

Yeah, i've been meaning to start reading this for awhile. I just read the full issue #49 on Newsarama and that seemed pretty good. But, having spent all my money on other things at Free Comic book day i'll have to wait a bit longer i guess.
/ /
Lucid
Superhero

Postby Tom on Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 am

Tom
Science Hero

Postby jpaulos on Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 am

'I like the heavy text - but I tend to place more emphasis on the writing than the art in a comic.'

Interesting!
jpaulos
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Daren White on Thu May 06, 2010 12:29 pm

I enjoyed the unabashed Romero riff he used for the first two dozen issues or so. I think I lost interest when the man turns on man stuff started. Perhaps I have too much optimism in human nature faced with zombie apolcalypse ;)

Not that I've experienced it myself but I keep reading that comics are going back to a writer driven era again. I suppose Millar, Bendis, Morisson, Johns etc. are more or less driving Marvel and DC right now (compared to, for example, the the Kirby/Ditko or Image boy eras).
Daren White
Super Genius

Postby Gee Hale on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:43 am

I think Walking Dead is awesome!

I agree that Adlard's artwork looks like they're rushed.I preferred Tony Moore's run on the book.
The writing sometimes is too much per page or panel for my taste. I guess I'm more of a 'cool artwork' than 'cool writing' type of guy, when it comes to comics or anything else haha!
Has anyone seen the preview shots of the Walking Dead TV series? Looks wicked!
Gee Hale
Superhero

Postby tonia on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 pm

The production pics for the series are on the AMC website if anyone's interested - including this "zombie decay" example - its Frank Darabont doing it so I have high hopes it will be good -
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Ian T on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:14 pm

The first six issues of this series knocked me out, with Tony Moore's crisp artwork giving the story a reality and clarity that was a perfect match to Kirkman's clever character writing. I'm not usually a big fan of zombie stuff, but this - and the film 28 Days Later - struck me as taking the Romero concepts further in the direction of character focus - primarily dealing with the interactions of fairly realistically survivors.

I was looking forward to Charles Adlard's work on the book, but somehow it has a muddiness that I found distancing after Moore (who was still doing the covers when I last looked). It worked okay to begin with, but the longer I read, the more distant the characters seemed to become, partly due to the artwork, but also because some of the writing seemed plot driven beyond believability for certain characters. Gloomy and moody, yes, but engaging at a human level (in the way of the earlier issues), less so.

[SPOILER ALERT]

The Governor plotline had some neatly grim moments, but nothing to match the more human tensions between characters in earlier issues. I stopped reading after the tortune scene - I hate those anyway, but it seemed somehow gratuitous and didn't advance the plot in any meaningful way. By then, most of the characters I cared about were gone, or about to be (the writing seemed pretty evidently on the wall), so I packed it in. I'd be interested to see what people think when it reaches the end of the run though.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby tonia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm

The trailer is up for the Tv series too (didn't realise it starred Andrew Lincoln - after seeing him as Simon from "Teachers", I don't know how I feel about him being a country US sheriff.)

tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Tom on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Tony Moore is a very good artist but I don't think his cartoonish style really suited. Charlie Adlard's work does't inspire me to rush to my studio and get drawing but I think he more aptly suits the mood.

When I finished the compendium (books 1 to 8) I was left shaking and wanting to know what the hell was going to happen next. But it's been 3 or 4 months now and I haven't gone out to buy the rest. Robert Kirkman's style is infectious while reading and as you said Ian, the character driven stories at the beginning gave way to cliches and plot driven stories so now (as with most series that carry on over many issues) he's probably just giving the fans more, more, more.

But I haven't read the last 4 books or so so I don't know how it's going now.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby Ian T on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 am

Tom, yeah, I'm tempted to pick up an issue and see which characters are still kicking. I can see why the themes Kirkman is exploring lend themselves to an epic approach, but ultimately if you cease to care about enough of the characters, something compelling is lost. It's probably a problem I have with most genre horror - the characters tend to be poorly realised and hopelessly inadequate, and lacking the complexity of real people.

Rick in TWD is a fantastic protagonist, particularly in those early issues - hopefully they'll get him right in the TV series.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby Tom on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Rick is an excellent character but I find he's always right, he never truly stuffs up. My favourite is Tyreese.
Tom
Science Hero

Postby Ian T on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:07 am

I think Rick is the archetypal "leader" character, and I like the way they work. Tyreese is a good character, and only appeared after Adlard took over, so he feels "real" in the later style, in a way that Rick, and some of the others, don't necessarily.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby Frank Candiloro on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:19 pm

After hearing about it for a while, I finally decided to read it just yesterday. Halfway through the first volume, so far I'm liking what I see! I'm not really a fan of zombies (and to be honest I think they're overexposed in pop culture lately) but this has definitely piqued my interest. Will continue to follow it.

Frank Candiloro
Superhero

Return to Chat About: The Majors