2 pages a week...

Talk about the people, places and times that influence and inspire you.

Postby sdigital on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm suffering a nervous breakdown from not being productive.
The longer I go without producing work - the more anxious I feel.

*hug*

I Feel that pain.
My mutant healing factor is on lay by
sdigital
Sidekick

Re: ROUTINE...

Postby AndreiB on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

bluetoaster wrote:If I don't stick to a routine, it feels like I'm masturbating, rather than trying to have a child.

Ew. :p

I work 9-5, 5 days a week and aim for 3 A4 pages a week, only lineart, no toning or cleanup. This is balanced with 4 hours taken out for exercise. On weeks when I know I have social commitments this gets reduced to 2 pages. It's intense, not from a workload view but from a mental priorities list. Doing this amount of work keeps it as a high priority in your head and this is what breeds anxiety for me regarding the amount produced.

This isn't sustainable though, when my product is done, I'll have a few weeks of 'holiday' where I'd be writing the next product or cleaning up finished work.
Writer and illustrator of Dead by Thirty.
AndreiB
Superhero

Postby bluetoaster on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 am

AndreiB wrote:... when my product is done, I'll have a few weeks of 'holiday' where I'd be writing the next product or cleaning up finished work.

I'm always weary of this time, when it's easy to lose momentum and the 'holiday' gets too long. I consciously try and not take a break after a project is done. always have 2-3 projects just waiting to be continued or started the second I've finished a book or story.

I know for me, the moment I relax, my engine shuts down. Besides... we're only here for 5 minutes. Why relax?

bluetoaster
Master of Time

Postby AndreiB on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:10 am

bluetoaster wrote:
AndreiB wrote:... when my product is done, I'll have a few weeks of 'holiday' where I'd be writing the next product or cleaning up finished work.

I'm always weary of this time, when it's easy to lose momentum and the 'holiday' gets too long. I consciously try and not take a break after a project is done. always have 2-3 projects just waiting to be continued or started the second I've finished a book or story.

I know for me, the moment I relax, my engine shuts down. Besides... we're only here for 5 minutes. Why relax?

I've just finished my latest holiday period now, and I've got antsy without a project to work on. My girlfriend is probably relieved I've gone four weeks without crapping on about the comic.

I'm meant to be writing a script for a new chapter but writing is.... harder than sticking to the 3 pages a week work process. When I'm drawing, it's nice and brainless (in comparison to writing). Turn to the next page of the script, pencil in the boxes and dialogue and away you go! Whoo! Now I sit at the desk, open a word document, mentally regurgitate the conversation imaginary characters have, reread what I've written and begin worrying about reader accessibility, interest, self-contained stories, character development pacing. And I even know what's meant to happen and the order in which the events occur! It's all too hard.

It's easier at the moment to walk off to the living room and see what's happening in Fallout New Vegas instead :D
Edit: See David's avatar!
Writer and illustrator of Dead by Thirty.
AndreiB
Superhero

Previous

Return to What Drives Me