Back in the old days.

Talk about the people, places and times that influence and inspire you.

Back in the old days.

Postby Lee Gracie on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:03 pm

Some of you my know who I am. I have been working in Australian comics for 12 year.
Over the year I have done a number of comcis and mini comics.
And I also have work in some movies.
I have not done a mini comic in Australian for many year.
If you have send my work in the past, I can tell you it's not the same work I use to do.
The new Hellen comic book I am doing, I have put a lot of work into it.
And I'm sure you will ejoy what you see and read in the book.
So I hope you will because to get and read in.
It will be only sold in Melbourne.
So I hope you will be ably to get your hands on one of them.
Take it easy.

Lee Gracie
Fear what you can't understand and hate what you can't conquer, bitch!
Lee Gracie
Super Genius

Postby dillon on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:20 pm

what's the work in movies you've done, lee?
dillon
Super Genius

Postby Lee Gracie on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:16 am

I did art work for the moives of Take Away and You and your stupid mate.
Lee Gracie
Super Genius

Postby mike nason on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 pm

Hi Lee,

The first time I heard the name "Lee Gracie" was at a Melbourne con in '94 or '95. It was the one with ARC Comics and Issue One and, I guess, all the other publishers at the time. I spoke to Simon Sherry, Sam Young, Chris Wahl and Greg Gates. I can't remember exactly when, but at some point a croud started to form to one side of the Issue One table. Being the curiouse person that I am, I wondered over to see what was going on. I don't know exactly what you where showing to people at the time. whatever it was, they all seemed to be very amused by it.

I've heard your name mentioned many times since then, by many differant people. The context has not allways been positive, but the point is that you gained a reputation within the comic book community. And even if it wasn't allways for the best of reasons, the fact remains that people know who you are. Like they see, 'there's no such thing as bad press' . The only question is; can you use that momentum to your advantage? What you wrote earlier about the differance between your old work and the new stuff you're doing now is very important. Because anyone who may have heard of you will probably assosiate your name with things like "The Sinner" (and whatever other early works you may have done). And, obviously, that's not your best work.

I hope as many people as possible can get to see your new book 'cause it realy does look good. Your style is simple (as it has probably allways been)but also very "accesable", and the storytelling looks strong to.

Having bucket-loads of talent isn't half as important as people may think. It can only take you so far. What's more important is that you stick with it, never give up on your dreams/goals or whatever. The only time a person can truly fail at something is when they stop. So long as you continue to move toward your destination, there will allways be some measure of improvement and your new work shows exactly that.

There is no greater inspiration than seeing another artist become better at what they do, it makes you whant to do the same.

cheers dude,

M.
*...this is the emergency broadcasting system...please stay tuned for further instructions...*
mike nason
Superhero

Postby Lee Gracie on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

Thanks for the nice words Mike.
Some of you might not know this, that I am dyslexic.
I think that mainly why I start to draw and stayed with it.
My reading now, is very good.
But I still have a hard time writing things.
So if you ever come across my older work.
Just remember that I'm try my best to write and draw.
Lee Gracie
Super Genius

Return to What Drives Me