[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Perspective for comics

Perspective for comics

Got a bitchin' URL for some bitchin' reference pics? Post em here.

Perspective for comics

Postby micma on Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:12 am

micma
Superhero

Postby Dean Rankine on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Yep. Read and enjoyed it 'till about half way through and then it's completely over my head.

Dean Rankine
Evil Genius

confusing Mmm..

Postby micma on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:31 pm

yeah i found the middle a bit confusing but i'd still rather this than other perspective books. and who knows my brain might actually get around it.
micma
Superhero

Postby Frank on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:34 pm

Micma,
I have read it and found it very informative. I agree with Dean it can be a bit of brain melter at first but read it a couple of times and it will slowly sink in.
The use of the comic book story telling and David chelsea's sense of humour make it readable.
Stick with it and I am sure you will pick up some very useful tips on perspective
even if you choose not to implement them all, it's good to know about these things as an artist.
I have it on my book shelf and turn to it periodically. Another good source would be How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, it has a small perspective section which is easy to understand but covers all the basics you need for comic art.

good luck
Frank
Hero

how to draw comics the marvel way

Postby micma on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:58 pm

how to draw comics the marvel way was my first ever art book on a how to draw. john buscema is a favourite of mine. his perspective talk is very limited though. thanks!
micma
Superhero

Postby Simon McGill on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:27 pm

Micma, I first found a copy in my local library.. try before you buy :)

(but I'd join the recommended reading people even though I never try anything even half as ambitious as in there).
"Drawing is just an excuse to crosshatch" - Robert Crumb
Simon McGill
Superhero

Postby David Yardin on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:28 am

Well while we are speaking about perspective, I pointed out this Loomis book in a perspective thread at the old OzComics site, and Tonia has also pointed the book out elsewhere on these forums, but it doesn't hurt pointing it out again:

http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=16&cat=15

Page 28 is where the chapter on perspective starts.

|
David Yardin
Super Genius

loomis book

Postby micma on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:08 am

thanks for pointing that out, everybit helps. I remember the loomis books when i was ten but didn't pay too much to perspective i was more interested in superheroes with big muscles and the women busty. My earlier drawings reflected quite alot of those haha. I wish i kept my original loomis book.
micma
Superhero

Return to Great References