[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Pulp Faction • View topic - Anatomy Pictures - Loomis Books

Anatomy Pictures - Loomis Books

Got a bitchin' URL for some bitchin' reference pics? Post em here.

Anatomy Pictures - Loomis Books

Postby tonia on Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:24 pm

Andrew Loomis is a fantastic illustrator who has written a number of "how to" anatomy and illustration books for artists - I'm lucky enough to own quite an old copy of one of his books, but you can also find them on line here
tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Matt Elder on Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:55 pm

The Loomis books are quite good as a starting point. If you want to get up to speed with things, nothing goes past a life drawing class. For those in Sydney, I highly recommend David Brigg's Julian Ashton (in the Rocks) course for beginners on Monday night (6:30-9:00pm) or Saturday morning (10:00am - 12:30)

tell him that Matt sent you :D
Less talk, more do.
Matt Elder
Matt Elder
Superhero

Postby David Yardin on Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:24 am

|
David Yardin
Super Genius

Postby tonia on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:53 pm

tonia
Super Goddess

Postby Egofreaky on Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:38 pm

I've been told that the copyright on Loomis' books expired recently...
That being said, I'm sure they're available on file sharing networks, as all the other How To Draw books seem to be.
Egofreaky
Evil Genius!

Postby dillon on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:13 pm

FOR ALL IT'S WORTH was an important book to me when i was a kid. it's chiefly responsible for the 'naked lady in high heels' fetish i have today.
dillon
Super Genius

Postby Ian T on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Amazing! I really only knew of the short Walter Foster version when I was growing up, but Jill's family have a copy of the original For All It's Worth. Damn fine formative book for a lot of us, I reckon ;),

Cheers,

Ian T.
Ian T
Super Genius

Postby thousanium on Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:04 am

For All it's Worth was probably the first figure drawing book that i found to be useful. However, last year i came across a better book, Glen Vilppu's Drawing Manual. He has a column at Animation World Network he also has instructional videos. he focuses more on gesture and solid forms than loomis does. i've found it a better all-round drawing book wheras loomis and bridgeman tend to be a suppliment to lifedrawing.

Matt Elder- thanks for the info on the lifedrawing classes. it's been 6 months since i've done lifedrawing (i did it at least once a week for 3 years at animation school). figuredrawing books and lifedrawing definately go hand in hand, i think it's the best way to learn to draw properly.
thousanium
Superhero

Return to Great References